Can I call BEV directly from the USA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Pocatello

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
I always believed that you could call BEV directly on their non-toll-free number. I don't have that number, but it starts with 416, I think.

Anyway, I planned to call them directly to establish my new account. I live in the USA.

But a man at KUSat.com (the store, not the site or the forum) said I should have someone inside of Canada make the call for me.

He said I risked getting my receiver shut off.

Have you guys had success calling them directly?

Thanks.

:confused:

I used to make direct calls into BEV through the direct dial number but then the switchboard started getting really nasty about routing calls that would have gone in directly on the toll free. BEV also became aware that US calls were routing that way. The operator gave me a nasty "Are you calling from the states?" "Um, no ma'am. I'm calling from my office and toll free number dialing is blocked."

Yes, you can have someone from within Canada make calls or establish a 3-way call. Kusat (Phillipe) has done that for me once.

As much of a hassle that a broker may seem, trying to direct call them from the US was far worse. That's why I ended up going with a broker eventually.

Kusat set up the account for me (btw, Bell procedure is for the retailer to establish the account anyway). I gave Kusat my canadian address and phone number, and voila the account was set up. No fee, since I had a canadian address and phone number (I have a Vonage virtual number that goes to my Pennsylvania home, and also my wifes cell for when we're up north). Kusat also had me pick a 4-digit PIN number for the account as well. Bell will ask for your phone number and PIN number whenever you call.

Bell then called a few days later to ask me how I was enjoying the service and if it was working well. With my first bill I got my account number and setup online access in case I wanted to make changes to my account, I also set up email billing there so that my bill/invoice comes to my email when I'm not up north.

I personally have never had a problem calling the 416 number (use *67 to block caller ID). Once the CSR told me I should hook up a phone line, but I told him I was cell only, because the land lines in that part of Northern Ontario were party lines, so they were worthless to hook up to.

I was questioned if I was calling from the US specifically because I had blocked caller ID on the direct number.

They never asked me about caller ID being blocked.
Though my answer would be that caller ID is normally blocked, and it's a hassle to dial *68 to unblock ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)