How to get Canadian satellite in the USA?

MaineMoose

Original poster
Apr 22, 2023
Maine
I live in Central Maine and I really want to be able to do this for a couple reasons. I've found some old threads that say this is do-able, but I wonder if that is still the case. I currently have DIsh Network, is any of the equipment usable?
The CBC makes great documentaries and I love watching hockey.

You can't do it legally.
It is not illegal! It's illegal for Cdns to get US satellite but not vise versa.

MaineMoose its still doable and you're in Maine so you can get the Shaw G1 bird, the other one is going away soon. Maybe you can also get Bell?? I forget. You can read the threads at the top of this forum including the one about brokers. We did it a long time ago so I don't know the best way to do it now. We were paying about $100 US/month but if you don't want as many channels it would be less.

It is not illegal! It's illegal for Cdns to get US satellite but not vise versa.

MaineMoose its still doable and you're in Maine so you can get the Shaw G1 bird, the other one is going away soon. Maybe you can also get Bell?? I forget. You can read the threads at the top of this forum including the one about brokers. We did it a long time ago so I don't know the best way to do it now. We were paying about $100 US/month but if you don't want as many channels it would be less.
Shaw won't sell to a US address. It may work but that doesn't mean it's legit.

Last edited:
Since it involves misrepresentation to complete the transaction, it certainly isn't supported by anyone's laws or policies.

That someone might be willing to look the other way doesn't legitimize the act.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Since it involves misrepresentation to complete the transaction, it certainly isn't supported by anyone's laws or policies.

That someone might be willing to look the other way doesn't legitimize the act.
Canada has a law against Directv and Dish but the US doesn't have a law against Bell and Shaw. Bell and Shaw have contracts only for Canada so they aren't supposed to let other ppl get their channels but that's not a law that's a contract. They know they have lots of subs in the US. There's even a lady from Shaw on another forum who answers questions from ppl in the US. As long as everybody pretends their in Canada nobody cares.

OP here's the broker thread again:

I talked to Kusat last year so they're still around. If you have relatives or really good friends in Canada you might not need a broker for a Cdn address.

I didn't say you could use a US address you can't. It's gray market. But it isn't illegal.
Semantics. Canadian satellite companies can't sell their products in the US. Call it what you will, they can't knowingly do it.

Semantics. Canadian satellite companies can't sell their products in the US. Call it what you will, they can't knowingly do it.
Not semantics laws vs contracts. Yes they won't let a US person subscribe from a US address but like I said as long as they pretend they're in Canada every body is happy. The OP can get Cdn satellite TV if he wants.

Not semantics laws vs contracts.
Contracts are covered by laws in both the United States and Canada. Providing false information to enter into a contract isn't lawful whether you do it directly or you contract someone else to do it on your behalf.

Contracts are covered by laws in both the United States and Canada. Providing false information to enter into a contract isn't lawful whether you do it directly or you contract someone else to do it on your behalf.
I was talking about Shaws contracts with TV distributors they only buy rights for Canada.

Anyway the important thing is MaineMoose won't get in trouble! Do you really think the mods would let ppl talk about doing this for 20+ years if they thought it would get them in trouble? They don't allow talking about stealing satellite service but US ppl are paying Bell or Shaw (ours was about $100/month) so no body is getting ripped off.

If you think its immoral and don't want to do it fine but other ppl can do it if they want.

MaineMoose did you find the info you needed??

I had a friend who sadly passed away several years ago. I got the Shaw receiver from him and he just added the receiver on his account. He could have up to 6 receivers at no extra charge, if I remember correctly. Shaw was fun. There are some apps out there that offer Canadian networks, but you need a VPN generally.

If one wants to talk political aspects of a topic, there is a section for it.

This ain’t it.
Did you delete some posts, looks like you are responding to a thread where the last posts were 10 months ago

MaineMoose's original post was more than six months ago. The original poster didn't respond to replies back in April and hasn't posted anything since then. I'm not sure there's much point in continuing this thread, though it's not illegal (haha).