Can I convert VIP222k to DVR by adding external hard drive?

jmjjg

Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Gainesville, Georgia
I'm a fairly new Dish customer and would much appreciate advice:
I currently have a VIP722 and VIP222 with two TV's connected to each receiver. A few weeks after installation, I inquired about upgrading the 222 for a second 722. The DISH rep suggested that I wait for the new 922 that will be coming out, and meanwhile connect an external HD to the 222. Would this convert it to a full DVR with pause and recording capabilities, etc.?
Many thanks in advance for any advice.

I was fooled today by a Dish Network installer. He too said that other techs said that it was possible to add an external hard drive to the vip222k. We tried to add 1 but it wouldn't connect/work. Seems like some installers and techs don't know what they are talking about. I do know that they wanted $150.00 to upgrade to the 722 hd dvr which i already have one. I'm beginning to think that Dish Network is doing this on purpose to force people to buy the dvr models. LAME.

I found an article somewhere recently that said the reason the 222 & 222k cannot be converted to a DVR is because the limitations of the USB port, that is could not support the 2-way traffic for 2 tuners and I would tend to lend credence to this.

Someone else has posted that some early versions of the ViP222 used a different motherboard that cannot support EHDs. So they won't activate the feature for this model. Personally, I don't know. But DISH has not said this model will ever support EHDs- at least, not that I've seen.

Just like with every other product, can't go by what a sales rep or others SAY. Go only by what you get in writing.