Can I expect better reception by raising my antenna by 1 foot?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
Ok guys,
I am located on the easten edge of Kansas City. I am using long distance UHF ANTENNA, eve mounted. Right now it extends about 2 feet above my roof line. The antenna is on a rotor and is ampflied. Right now I receive about 42 channels OTA and am seeking more.

Here's my question I am getting channel KAJF-LD with no problems. I get KCMN-LD, when conditions are just right. I get signal all the time just no quality, so no picture. I checked rabbit ears and both channels are located on the same antenna tower, both broadcast with the same power 15kw, both cover the same area, the only difference is one is the one I receive is at 348' the one that is iffy is at 324'. I don't want to go too high with my antenna, and am wondering if you think I would be worth going another foot? Is there a some formula about how much more signal you receive for every foot of hight? Thanks.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
That's one of those things that you need to experiment with. Raising it a foot may help, especially since it will put some distance from the roof (ground plane). However, raising a foot may cause you to lose some signals. There is no way of knowing for sure until you try it.

Hi, Neil

Nice to meet somebody else in the Kansas City region! :clapping

I'm south of town 50 miles in Miami County, KS and I get KAJF. If you're just east of town and can't pick up KCMN, I'd suspect they are having transmitter issues. You can try emailing them but they don't respond to me.

With regards to picking up more stations, can you pick up KMOS PBS from Warrensburg? That should be doable from your location. Also, I've read that some of the Columbia stations are receivable east of town. You can also probably pickup KQTV from St. Joseph.

Without question, you should definitely be receiving WDAF, KCTV, KMBC, KTAJ, KAJF, KUKC, KCPT, KCWE, KMCI, KSHB, KCDN, K45I0 and KPXE.

Let me know if you can get any of the "TV25" stations (WROB/KCKS/KMJC). If you're East, those might not come in as they are mainly covering the Kansas side.

Last edited:
Do you want more stations just to up the count or is there something in particular you're chasing after that we can concentrate on?

The more specific you are about what you want, the less energy is wasted on things that you're not particularly interested in.

Hi Comfortably Numb,

So far I am able to pick up all the channels you mentioned plus KSMO. I have picked up WROB AND KMJC when conditions were perfect. I get a signal but not enough quality to produce a picture.

Hi Comfortably Numb,

So far I am able to pick up all the channels you mentioned plus KSMO. I have picked up WROB AND KMJC when conditions were perfect. I get a signal but not enough quality to produce a picture.

Anything from Columbia or St Joe?

Another way for us to help you determine which additional signals might be possible is to post a "TV Fool" report from here:

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29
Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Last edited:
Reactions: fred555
I have consulted the entrails, the Oracle, and the Tarot cards.

All agree. It is a definite Maybe. Using a standard 5 foot, or better, 10 foot pole, will increase this to a possible probably.

It's more art than science. A signal might be stronger at one end of the roof than the other. Height may help or hurt or both. Trees, obstructions such as distant hills, buildings or towers may factor in, as may butterflies flapping their wings in Brazil.

A good Santeria practitioner may be of good use.

I have consulted the entrails, the Oracle, and the Tarot cards.

All agree. It is a definite Maybe. Using a standard 5 foot, or better, 10 foot pole, will increase this to a possible probably.

It's more art than science. A signal might be stronger at one end of the roof than the other. Height may help or hurt or both. Trees, obstructions such as distant hills, buildings or towers may factor in, as may butterflies flapping their wings in Brazil.

A good Santeria practitioner may be of good use.

Navy, are you hittin' the sauce tonight?

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: navychop