Can I hook my 622 up before my install?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brian913

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Im having my 622 upgraded from a 942. Monday morning is my scheduled install date. I was wondering if it was ok to go ahead and unhook my 942 and hookup my 622. Im assuming it will hookup the same way. Im not sure if i will need a new dish outside or not. I live in the kansas city area 66062. Will it be functional if i hook it up early? If not I will just wait till monday.

brian913 said:
Im having my 622 upgraded from a 942. Monday morning is my scheduled install date. I was wondering if it was ok to go ahead and unhook my 942 and hookup my 622. Im assuming it will hookup the same way. Im not sure if i will need a new dish outside or not. I live in the kansas city area 66062. Will it be functional if i hook it up early? If not I will just wait till monday.

A lot of people have hooked them up themselves only to have problems getting them activated.

brian913 said:

I have a 622 coming next week from a dealer out-of-state, so I called DISH to see what I needed to do for getting the box activated. Kind of threw the CSR for a loop, he had to put me on hold and check with a supervisor, came back and said this was the first time they had dealt with this kind of thing (non-lease, I guess). Anyway, he said the 622 had to be hooked up and good to go, because their computer will not activate unless it is ready to roll (I know there are forum members out there who will doubt this, hey, I just am reporting my experience;) ). I had also asked about getting a Dish 1000 set up, and he also said the 622 has to be shown "in the system" before they can write a work order. Lucky for me, and like you, I guess, the 942 set up should be just a "plug and play" after getting the point dish drill completed and locked in.

Good luck, please post your experience:)

brian913 said:
I hooked mine up before the install to download the latest rev of software so that the installer didnt have to do it, as for some it took up to 20 mins to do it. I had the download.
I had a 942 before and yes this connections for the satellite are the same. As mentioned above if you need an install of something dont try and activate it, if they will let you, coz it will cancel the install.

If you have a 942 you probably have a similar setup to me: 110/119 and a second dish for 61.5. Living in Kansas City you might get reasonable reception for 129 using a Dish 1000, and you're actually paying for the upgrade to the dish as part of getting the 622.

If you hook up the 622 early it won't give you access to anything other than the demo channels (and the Nasa Channel), though you can download the new software and even scan for local OTA channels. You need to get it authorized to be able to watch anything else. If you call a CSR you probably won't be able to get the receiver authorized before the install date, or at least you'll have difficulty. (YMMV - some people have had their 622s activated early through Tech support, but when I called in they said they couldn't cancel the installation appointment and they couldn't activate the receiver with the appointment still in the system.)

I was able to get mine activated going through CEO@echostar.com, cancelling the Monday appointment. I'm forgoing an upgrade to a Dish 1000 at this time, which means if I need 129 in the future then I'll have to pay for it. I'm willing to do that.

Hope this helps.

CDH.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)