happymister

Original poster
May 19, 2004
I just received the 510 PVR yesterday and have installed
it next to my 811 in the family room. The 510 outputs to
2 TVs, my HDTV in the family room and also wired it upstairs
to my bedroom TV.
I was planning to use the 510 remote from both upstairs bedroom
and in the family room..since it had UHF.

But, I am unable to use the 510 UHF remote from my 2nd floor bedroom
to operate the 510 receiver in the family room.
The 811 came with a remote which looks exactly the same..with PVR buttons..
only slightly bigger.. a couple of extra buttons but it has UHF Pro.

I presume UHF Pro would be more powerful.. but i am unable to program
it to control the 510 receiver.

I was able to program both remotes and receiver to channel 4, for e.g.
The 510 remote is able to control both receivers.
but the 811 remote is unable to control the 510 receiver. it works fine
with the 811 receiver.

any suggestions. ?

The 811 remote will not control the 510. The 811 remote uses UHF Pro for SAT control. The 811 itself will respond to IR SAT commands, which is what I'm guessing you are seeing with the 510 remote controlling the 811.

I wish Dish Network would allow their remotes to be programed in the AUX mode for just this reason, controlling a second Dish receiver.

My 811/remotes are interchangable if I assign them the same RF address. Check your manual and try it. However it controls both at the same time. So if the wife is watchine the 510 and you are surfing on the 811 you will change channels on both!

You are saying you can use your 811 remote to control your 510? Mine wouldn't do that. My 811 remote will not control my 301 or 721 either.

chastulsa said:
My 811/remotes are interchangable if I assign them the same RF address. Check your manual and try it. However it controls both at the same time. So if the wife is watchine the 510 and you are surfing on the 811 you will change channels on both!
We don't have access to RF address in any menu; we can change only [EDIT:] Remote Address.
Will be interesting to see detail procedure for change "RF address".
Please, don't hesitate to post it for us.

Smith said:
We don't have access to RF address in any menu; we can change only Remote ID.
Will be interesting to see detail procedure for change "RF address".
Please, don't hesitate to post it for us.

P Smith,

Before you change the address code for the remote be sure any and all other receivers are in Standby mode or off, pull up the main menu on the receiver you wish to change the remote code for, navigate to receivers main Menu, select System Setup, then Installation, then system info. You will see many numbers and lines of information, Notice the last line from the bottom is the Remote Address, be sure the remote you wish to use is set to the new remote code you wish to control this receiverm with only, then press the "record" button on that remote and you will notice the remote adress line on that screen change to reflect you have changed the remote code to recognize that remote only.

John

same here.. I am still not able to use my 811 remote to control anything
other than the 811. My 510 receiver on the other hand can control the 811.. which is why i wanted to interfchange them to see if i can use my 811 remote which has UHF Pro to control my 510 receiver which is 1 floor away. My 510 remote is not able to control
the 510 from the 2nd floor bedroom which is about 40 feet line of sight.
The receiver is currently inside the audio/video cabinet below the TV. Today, I plan to connect a co-ax to the UHF antenna connection on the back.. and move the UHF antenna outside the cabinet to see if that makes a difference.. hopefully i can attach it to the back of the cabinet and it will work.. although it might not meet wife-approval requiremetns ;-)

I am wondering if diplexors (is that the right component) that is used to multiplex to co-axial feeds on one rg6 can be used for this purpose. if so.. i can use them to move the UHF antenna to the room of my choice. I can't physically wire another co-ax into the room.. or atleast won't get the permission to do that ;-)

My UHF Pro 8 remote doesn't change the 'Remote Address' on my PVR508 - that's the problem !

BTW, doesn't matter if I try use IR or pure UHF mode from next room. :(

Smith said:
My UHF Pro 8 remote doesn't change the 'Remote Address' on my PVR508 - that's the problem !

Does your 811 remote do anything to the 508? It shouldn't because it uses different frequencies. This is why I can't believe the 811 remote is controlling other non-UHF Pro models. Maybe Dish has revised the current run of UHF Pro remotes to concurrently transmit both UHF Pro and IR.

happymister said:
...Today, I plan to connect a co-ax to the UHF antenna connection on the back.. and move the UHF antenna outside the cabinet to see if that makes a difference.. hopefully i can attach it to the back of the cabinet and it will work.. although it might not meet wife-approval requiremetns ;-)

I am wondering if diplexors (is that the right component) that is used to multiplex to co-axial feeds on one rg6 can be used for this purpose. if so.. i can use them to move the UHF antenna to the room of my choice. I can't physically wire another co-ax into the room.. or atleast won't get the permission to do that ;-)
The coax extension will probably do the trick, but that's a great idea to try a diplexer. It just might work - would love to know if you try it.

gpflepsen said:
Does your 811 remote do anything to the 508? It shouldn't because it uses different frequencies. This is why I can't believe the 811 remote is controlling other non-UHF Pro models. Maybe Dish has revised the current run of UHF Pro remotes to concurrently transmit both UHF Pro and IR.
It was my understanding that the UHF Pro remotes did not send out any IR, but if they have new ones that do, that would be pretty nice...

Only the 811 remote. And, yes, it's supremely ridiculous. Even more ridiculous than the RF frequency being different than the one on all the other Dish RF remotes.

These are the types of things that make you want to take socks full of horse manure to the sides of the heads of the Dish engineers. Pow. That's for the 811 remote. Pow. That's for the 811. Pow. That's for the 921. Pow. That's just for general principle.

Smith said:
Eh, my UHF Pro 8.0 works with PVR508 only by UHF . Are you sure in yours, GaryPen ?

I'm not sure what "sure in yours" means. But, I'm sure my 811 remote does not control my 510 via UHF. My 510 remote will control my 811 via IR, though.

From an earlier thread I posted when I first got the stuff, it appears to be normal behavior. Well...normal for Dish engineering.

OK, here is my remote FCC ID: DKNFSK01, ETC 123214.
The '8.0 UHF PRO' model controls 811, 721, 921 by RF channel.
It doesn't control 508 by RF or IR channel.

Please post for compare your remote IDs and RF/IR capabilities.

EDIT: I'm sorry, but I used for control 508 other remote, from 721: FCC ID DKNAMTX, ETC 113144, not the "8.0 UHF PRO'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts