Can I make 2 remotes both control TV1?

rg567

Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
I've got a strange remote question. I added a tv in my garage. I'm perfectly happy having to watch the same thing on the garage tv as I have on TV1 so I hooked the new set to the composite outputs of the TV1 output on the back of my dish(TV1 is hooked to HDMI). I can turn on the garage tv and view what is playing on TV1, thats no problem, however, I'd like to be able to run my dvr from my garage as well. Can I buy a UHF remote similar to the one that controls TV2 and use it to control TV1 from out in the garage while keeping the original TV1 remote useful? I have a 722(I think).

Short version(3 remotes total)
TV1- controlled by 1 IR remote and 1 UHF remote in seperate rooms
TV2-controlled by 1 UHF remote(different remote from TV1)

Is it possible?
Thanks in advance.

Awesome, I figured it would work. My TV2 UHF remote is a 6.0 version. Anyone know if I have to stay with that version or will a 8.0 version work?

Actually all you have to do is put the 722 in single mode. Then the uhf remote will control TV1 output and allow you to watch OTA if you have the remote TV on the home distribution coax as TV2.

the receiver won't let you do this. at least my 722k won't let me. can't set TV1 to control by UHF. if you try to, you get a message that says you are trying to do something it doesn't like.

if i understand what you are trying to do correctly.

TV1 controlled by an IR remote set this code to 1. (I think this is a must)
TV1 controlled by a UHF remote set this code to 16
TV2 controlled by a UHF remote set this code to 11

might work. i don't have enough remotes to try it.

You can with both. I have my 722k setup using 21.0 remote in UHF for TV number one due to I/R interference, you just have to make sure that the address are different for remote 1 and 2. This is the product detail for a 21.0 remote:

UHF Pro Support (TV1, or TV2 Where Applicable)

• 322 (UHF Pro Band A - Odd Remote Addresses)
  • 512 (UHF Pro Band A - Odd Remote Addresses)
  • 522 (UHF Pro Band A - Odd Remote Addresses)
  • 625 (UHF Pro Band A - Odd Remote Addresses)
  • ViP222 (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP222k (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP612 (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP622 (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP722 (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP722k (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)

*Edit* Reason I used 21.0 as example is because I personally find it the easiest to setup for the OP's setup.

Last edited:
Actually all you have to do is put the 722 in single mode. Then the uhf remote will control TV1 output and allow you to watch OTA if you have the remote TV on the home distribution coax as TV2.

I don't think this is what I want to do. I want two remotes to control the same TV1 output, one of the remotes being IR, the other UHF. I also want a seperate UHF remote to control TV2. Not sure what OTA has to do with it, that is already hooked up and working through the reciever on both outputs.

You can with both. I have my 722k setup using 21.0 remote in UHF for TV number one due to I/R interference, you just have to make sure that the address are different for remote 1 and 2. This is the product detail for a 21.0 remote:

UHF Pro Support (TV1, or TV2 Where Applicable)

• 322 (UHF Pro Band A - Odd Remote Addresses)
  • 512 (UHF Pro Band A - Odd Remote Addresses)
  • 522 (UHF Pro Band A - Odd Remote Addresses)
  • 625 (UHF Pro Band A - Odd Remote Addresses)
  • ViP222 (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP222k (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP612 (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP622 (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP722 (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)
  • ViP722k (UHF Band A & B - All Remote Addresses)

*Edit* Reason I used 21.0 as example is because I personally find it the easiest to setup for the OP's setup.

So if I understand correctly, I can basically buy any dish network remote and it will program into my setup? My current TV2 UHF remote is a 6.0 and if I'm reading you right, any series remote between 6.0 and 21.0 should work? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to buy the correct remote and get this working right the first time. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend the 21.0 that would be the easiest because there is just a switch to change between I/R and UHF or the 6.0 (those are the two main ones used for the 722) If you PM your account number I can see about getting you a remote.

Do I understand correctly? 722k can be set up to allow TV1 to be controlled by both IR and UHF at the same time? Does the 612 also allow this?

ZachS@DISH Network said:
Yes as long as you set both remotes to the same address, both should control the receiver.

Just to clarify Zachs post. Set both TV1 remotes to the same address.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have a 5.3 IR (TV 1- Primary Remote Address = 2) and a 21.0 UHF PRO BAND A (TV 2-Secondary Remote Address = 1) controlling my 622 (Dual Mode) and TV downstairs, and I use my other 5.3 remote to control the SD output on the TV upstairs. Very easy to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)