Can I make local antenna channels without a satelitte box go through the stereo (5.1)

dominogold

Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Novi, MI
I was signed up for Dish Network, but I'm cancelling because All Sat basically lied to be about the promotion they were offering and won't honor it so I'm paying way more than I expected.

But I've come to realize something....95% of the time I watch locals. If I need my fill of ESPN I can go to the local watering hole. So my wife and I are cancelling everything and going "bill free baby".

My TV has a built in HD tuner so I can pick up HD signals over the air and they come in crystal clear. However, I haven't figured out a way to get the dolby digital to work through my Onkyo TX-SR602 with just an antenna. Is there some converter box I can buy so I can watch local channels in dolby digital through my stereo without having any satellite or cable box connected to it?

So basically what I'm asking, is how can I get HD on my TV with dolby digital with just an antenna. I can get the picture fine, but not the dolby digital (sound only works through the TV not through the stereo).

Thanks

Last edited:
Look at the back of your tv and see if it has an optical output. Then you will have to plug that into your stereo to get Dolby Digital if your local station passes the signal thru, some do not. If your stereo does not do dolby digital then just plug a set of red white audio cables into the audio out of the tv and the audio in on the stereo and you will get dolby pro logic.

If your HDTV does not have audio out at all, you can switch to an external ATSC tuner STB that has them. But pickings are slim for these right now.