Can I move receiver/DVR to watch recorded programs elsewhere.

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
I have a recorded show on my DVR(A Judge Mathis episode that my friend was on) and I wanted to know can I disconnect receiver and take to friends house to watch that recorded show.I have a 722 DVR.If so how do you connect to thier TV.My friends tried to record on their DVR but show wouldnt record and I am only one who has this recorded and my house isnt set up for company right now as I am remodeling and cant have people tracking into house at this time.

if your friend has DISH ... you might be able to .... you would have to hook up your reciever to your friends DISH Satellite feed .... and probably internet or phone just to be safe..

as soon as your receiver is disco'd for a short period of time.. you start losing access to the recordings.. disco from satellite and you could immediately lose access to any EHD's you have setup ... so it wouldn't be an option to move the recroding to an EHD ... as it would be unavailbale without a valid dish feed...

Either way .. youre not going to lose anything giving it a try...

if your friend has DISH ... you might be able to .... you would have to hook up your reciever to your friends DISH Satellite feed .... and probably internet or phone just to be safe..
Each dish receiver is coded to a specific account. The receiver would not be recognized. However, he can just hook up to the TV. The "Complete Loss Of Signal" screen will show. Press the DVR button to find the recording.

Just to expand on KAB's post. You can't record to an external hard drive and move that hard drive to another person's receiver, it will only work on receivers assigned to you.

You can simply connect your receiver to their TV. Don't plugt in the phone or anything else. It is just my opinion, but I don't think you are doing anything against your contract as you are not trying to watch any live satellite channels at someones house.
You will get the screen KAB described. You can by-pass that by hitting the DVR button. It might take more than once, as the loss of signal screen might immediately return, but eventually you can watch. The key is the receiver has to still be authorized, meaning this would not work if you had turned off services to it, or it remained unplugged for a long period of time. What you want to do should work.
You also could record to a VHS recorder or digital video recorder if they are available.

KAB has the right method to do this. However, what's this?

Each dish receiver is coded to a specific account. The receiver would not be recognized.
Who or what is not "recognizing" the receiver? If the OP wants to hook up to his friend's Dish antenna, this might also work after he does a Check Switch.

I would definitely recommend not hooking up either phone or Internet, just to be safe from the auditing team.

Last edited:
Who or what is not "recognizing" the receiver? If the OP wants to hook up to his friend's Dish antenna, this might also work after he does a Check Switch.
The Dish computers/automation. Each receivers is activated/authorized per account. And as said before, there is no point in doing so for what the OP wants to do.

The Dish computers/automation. Each receivers is activated/authorized per account. And as said before, there is no point in doing so for what the OP wants to do.

you meant the EHD, right? The receiver itself has no idea where it is. at least not that anyone is admitting. (got my tin foil hat on)

All I know is that when my receiver was unplugged from the sat IN feed, it wouldn't do nearly anything for me ... and I only had my 722k unplugged from the satellite feeds for about 15 to 20 minutes. And it completely reverted as if it wasn't authorized for anything.

Once I put the sat feed back in, it didn't come to life right away, and even then it had reverted to looking for 110/119 when I'm on the Eastern Arc, and when I did check switch and got all ok's and then tried, it was still not happy, I had to rerun check switch, let it sit for more than 5 minutes on the right satellite & transponder before it would let me out of the install screen without another error / alert message. ... all totaled the first time more than 40 minutes of futzing... the second time ... just hooking up and immediately doing check switch/waiting .. was about 15 minutes.

maybe I had the bum 722k ... but I'd recommend others try it ... just simply unplug your sat in feeds for 30 minutes.. see how easily you get access to any DVR feature.

And as was already pointed out, hooking to your friends "dish" if dish (not directv) would allow your receiver to re-auth rather than sitting on channel 100/101.

Its also possible that not having any sat feed signal is different than storm blocking the signal ... since when the signal is blocked, your receiver still sees its connected to the switch and LNB's and can make the intelligent decision its in bad signal rather than no satfeed at all.

All I know is that when my receiver was unplugged from the sat IN feed, it wouldn't do nearly anything for me ... and I only had my 722k unplugged from the satellite feeds for about 15 to 20 minutes. And it completely reverted as if it wasn't authorized for anything.

Once I put the sat feed back in, it didn't come to life right away, and even then it had reverted to looking for 110/119 when I'm on the Eastern Arc, and when I did check switch and got all ok's and then tried, it was still not happy, I had to rerun check switch, let it sit for more than 5 minutes on the right satellite & transponder before it would let me out of the install screen without another error / alert message. ... all totaled the first time more than 40 minutes of futzing... the second time ... just hooking up and immediately doing check switch/waiting .. was about 15 minutes.

maybe I had the bum 722k ... but I'd recommend others try it ... just simply unplug your sat in feeds for 30 minutes.. see how easily you get access to any DVR feature.

And as was already pointed out, hooking to your friends "dish" if dish (not directv) would allow your receiver to re-auth rather than sitting on channel 100/101.

Its also possible that not having any sat feed signal is different than storm blocking the signal ... since when the signal is blocked, your receiver still sees its connected to the switch and LNB's and can make the intelligent decision its in bad signal rather than no satfeed at all.
You are WAY over complicating this!!!!! You remind me of my recently departed Father. If there was an easy way or the hard way, he'd choose the hard one.;)

andyin137 said:
I have a recorded show on my DVR(A Judge Mathis episode that my friend was on) and I wanted to know can I disconnect receiver and take to friends house to watch that recorded show.I have a 722 DVR.If so how do you connect to thier TV.My friends tried to record on their DVR but show wouldnt record and I am only one who has this recorded and my house isnt set up for company right now as I am remodeling and cant have people tracking into house at this time.

Hooking up to your friends tv is as simple as hooking up a dvd player to a tv, a composite cable ( red/white/yellow cable, also known as an RCA cable), from reciever to tv is all you need.

Power on reciever, wait till it starts up then access the dvr. It will work. I do this all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)