Can I recommend a 522 to my neighbor?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

slojim

Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Richland,Wa.
I'm in a quandry....I'm recommending a 522 over a
510 to my neighbor in the apt. next to me.
The installer I talked to says it would be too difficult for her to quickly adapt to a 522 & that she should get a 510. If it were me, I would get a 522 for the 2 tuner advantage.

However, I'm reading nothing but bad about the bugs in the 522. I certainly don't want to hear a bunch of crap from her if she gets a bad product.

Scott, what should I do?????

Jim

on a personal preference I would stick to the 510, it may just be my bad luck but I have had trouble with 2 out of every 5 522's that I have installed, and really don't trust them

Than can I really rely on the 510 to be bug free?

Prowler......how reliable is the 510?

Is the 510 bug free, or what problems does it now have?

Thanks for your help or does anyone else have an opinion.

~Jim~

I haven't had a 510, but I have a 522 and have had zero issues with it. It has worked perfectly unlike my POS 811.

I haven't had any issues with my 522. DVR is a must IMO.
I also have the 2nd tuner outputting dish programming to all of the other tv's in my
house.

Overall I'm happy with the 522. I use the second tuner to do most of the recording, and watch something live on the other tuner. I have had a few audio dropouts on recorded material, but % is very small. No reboots or lock ups to speak off. If the person you are recommending it to wants perfection, this isn't it. Not saying a Tivo is any better, but this particular unit does have a few problems from reading the posts. From my experience though, the 2-tuner setup is hard to beat, and overall satisfaction is high.

M Law said:
Overall I'm happy with the 522. I use the second tuner to do most of the recording, and watch something live on the other tuner. I have had a few audio dropouts on recorded material, but % is very small. No reboots or lock ups to speak off. If the person you are recommending it to wants perfection, this isn't it. Not saying a Tivo is any better, but this particular unit does have a few problems from reading the posts. From my experience though, the 2-tuner setup is hard to beat, and overall satisfaction is high.

I've had the 522 since last week and am overall very happy with it. I was aware of potential bugs before I requested it, but I really wanted to avoid the multiple receiver fee and thought the 522 would be the ideal solution. I have one tuner to my main TV in the living room, and then the 2nd tuner is hooked up to my PC via the ATI All-In-Wonder (Coax input). This works out very well!

I've been using the 522 rigorously since getting it installed last Wednesday. And though I have not had any lockups or reboots, I have had a couple of "bugs". One is the well-known audio dropout issue... once in a while during playback of recorded material, the audio will drop out for about a second and sometimes the video will glitch as well. This is with both the optical digital output and the regular Coax on the 2nd tuner. I think, however, that this usually occurs when I am recording something on one tuner and watching and/or recording something from the Hard Drive on the other tuner as well.

I haven't gotten the phone line not connected message at all (yet). And I am using the 162 software. I like the addition of the "tuner preference" setting, but I still don't understand why they don't give you the option to record from tuner 1 or tuner 2 when setting a recording from the guide or the DVR timer menu. However, if you just press record during Live Tv, it *does* give you the option to choose which tuner... I guess they assume if you are setting a timer, you'll use the remote and TV that you want to record on, whereas if you press record right away, you may not have the luxury to switch to the other tuner/TV so it lets you choose. ???

I have a workflow set up with the DVR and my PC. Sometimes I'll use the DVR to record shows that I don't want to archive or burn to DVD. For shows that I may want to keep, however, I'll either set the receiver to "Auto tune" to the right channel and then record it on my PC or I'll record it first to the DVR and then play it back and record on the PC. Both methods have worked flawlessly.

As for the Dish service itself, I'm overall happy with the service. I came from basic cable, so I really like the addition of the guide and the DVR is something I'd never want to be without again. But I am disappointed in the picture quality of E*. The local channels, in particular, are VERY compressed and you can see jagged/pixellated areas all of the time (blotchy areas of skin, for example). I wrote an e-mail to them and they said they are working on solution (we'll see). I can see this compression on the other channels as well, but to a much lesser degree.

Travis

I haven't seen a problem with a 510 in quite awhile,the 510 and the 522 can both be great if you get a good one, I have found out though that on either system if you power down (power failure, etc.) you need to make sure that the receiver is at room temperature(60-80 degrees) before you power it back up or you will have non-stop problems, the hard drives cant handle cold temperatures. I quit using diplexers on all my 322 and 522 systems and hard line them all too, that seems to resolve alot of service issues, and hey guys if you want quick response for service go through a retailer, dish is soooo slow I think they are running in reverse half the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)