Can I replace the HD in a 508 receiver?

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
I have a 508 and I think the HD is going bad. I own it. Can I replace the HD myself and what make/model do I need?

Thanks

It can be done, but it is not a simple replacement. It is much easier to just add the Dish Home Protection Plan for a month and then have it replaced. They should ship you another 508 for 14.95 shipping. I have had to replace 2 508's over the years and never had a problem using the DHPP.

It can be done, but it is not a simple replacement. It is much easier to just add the Dish Home Protection Plan for a month and then have it replaced. They should ship you another 508 for 14.95 shipping. I have had to replace 2 508's over the years and never had a problem using the DHPP.

Thanks ... I have replaced 4 of these receivers and each time I seem to get a worse one. The HD on this one clicks so I would just as soon spend the $30 and buy a new one. I have opened up the unit and the swap is easy. However, there appears to be a proprietary format and the SW in the box looks for the HD serial number ..... so how to do this?

ive done this before and its bit of work, and yes only certain h-drives will work , u also need to hook up to a pc to fix , you would be beter off getting dishes insurance and have them replace it. The noise u hear maybe normal i have sevarel 501s 508s 510s they all are kinda nosiey but work fine less u getting a h-drive error i would not worry to much about noise. they are nice reciver i like them

the 625 has a maxtor 40 gig standard hard drive.
i cant guarantee that its not formatted in some special way before it is installed. i would guess that to be the case. you may install a new drive and get an immediate error message that the hdd is corrupt, if it boots at all.

the one i took apart had a 40 gig maxtor in it. i saw it with my own eyes.
dont know what else to say.

how do i find ekb?

Actually I'm holding a 625 hard drive in my hand. (It was sitting on my desk)

It's a WD2500JB Caviar SE

the one i took apart had a 40 gig maxtor in it. i saw it with my own eyes.
dont know what else to say.

how do i find ekb?

Your eyes liyng to you and you - to us. ;)

NEVER 625 had such small disk !!! Only 250 GB and before you'll say another umm untrue - 525 had 120 GB, ALWAYS !!!

alright, whatever. it was over a year and a half ago i took the thing apart. apparently i remember wrong. i dont want to argue about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts