Can I Sell My Old Receiver?

netsfan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hey guys. I had purchased a JVC receiver that I had been using, but now that I'm renting again, I have no use for it. Is it ok for me to sell that receiver and the blue smartcard that came with it, as well as the replacement yellow smartcard that they sent me? Does Dish Network have any problems with that? Will I have any problems, i.e. I don't want to end up paying for their service since they're using my old smartcards, if that makes any sense? Also, any idea how much I can get for it, I believe it's model 2800 (but I'll check to be sure).

Thanks. :)

As long as it is NOT a lease program and/or you are not under a contract.

If E* has sent you a replacement smartcard for it DESTROY the old blue card. Other than a pretty souvenir, it has no value except to hackers. Make sure the receiver is off of your account (not activated) and go for it. Someone may want it for SkyAngel or some other legit use where they don't want a new box.

JL

You also need to not owe any money on your account in order for someone else to be able to activate it (what they call a clear balance on the receiver). Having the receiver taken off of your account is called releasing the receiver so that someone else can activate it.

After following all the above, you need to publish or tell potential buyers the S00 and R00 numbers so that they can verify that everything's legit. (Those are the yellow smartcard number and the receiver serial number)

Thank you guys! I did purchase the receiver from Sears, not leased. It does not have any balance, in fact it actually might even have a $1 credit on it! Should I call Dish Network first to ask, or can I just sell it? Any idea how much it's worth?

Looking on ebay real quick for a 2800, I found two or three listings with a few bids. The average was ~$10. Ouch. With shipping, you might make $25! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts