can i use the disk drive out of a dvr510?

jonathag

Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I bought a 510 from a friend for 25 bucks before I knew anything about checking the balance on the receiver. There is a $158 balance on the receiver, so I guess I have a $25 paper weight. I want to take the disk drive out of the receiver and put it in an external enclosure cabinet to use on my pc, anybody know of any problems with that?

I would think that if you format it for Windows/Mac it should work fine, but once formatted I don't think it will ever work again in the 510.

jonathag said:
I bought a 510 from a friend for 25 bucks before I knew anything about checking the balance on the receiver. There is a $158 balance on the receiver, so I guess I have a $25 paper weight. I want to take the disk drive out of the receiver and put it in an external enclosure cabinet to use on my pc, anybody know of any problems with that?
Thats some friend you have there. With friends like that you don't need enemies.:cool:

Any DVR type device uses a normal HD. Take it and format it if you don't ever plan on using the box.

I did it to a Motorola HD/DVR cable box that the mother board fried in and got a nice 120gig 7200 RPM Seagate hard drive out of it.

papalittle said:
so how big is a hard drive in a 510. 20 gigabyte?
120 gig. I believe.
With a friend like that you might also check to see if he owned it or it is the leased property of DISH Network.:(

What does one of those hard drives go for now? $30-50? Used probably less. The remote may bring $10-25 depending on the condition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts