Can I watch my Hopper DVR with dish disconnected?

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
We are going to travel and thought about taking the Hopper with us so we could watch a movie from theh DVR at night.

Will it work without a sat signal for a week?

Thanks very much

We are going to travel and thought about taking the Hopper with us so we could watch a movie from theh DVR at night.

Will it work without a sat signal for a week?

Thanks very much

Nope, won't start up if it can't find a signal. Why don't you just use Dish Anywhere either your iPad, aPad or laptop. You can access anything on the Hopper using that plus stream live TV (doesn't have to be on the Hopper) if your hotel room doesn't have that channel but you are subscribed to it.

Good question! I expect that after the HopperGO arrives this will be the preferred method, but you're looking for the immediate solution. And like bookworm370 posted as I was writing this, using the DishAnywhere app on your smart device allows you to transfer programming to that device for offline viewing.

Thanks for the replies.

Hard as it may be to believe I don't have a "smart phone" and I can almost guarantee that the Internet connection at the motel will be on par with a dial up connection! So, guess I'm toast. Wish I had my old receiver as I know it worked.

I assume that the external HDD will not function either?

Nope, won't start up if it can't find a signal. Why don't you just use Dish Anywhere either your iPad, aPad or laptop. You can access anything on the Hopper using that plus stream live TV (doesn't have to be on the Hopper) if your hotel room doesn't have that channel but you are subscribed to it.
I just tried booting my H3 with no satellite connection and was able to get to the DVR fine. Once the "acquiring signal" dialog comes up, just hit the DVR button.

There is a time limit after which Dish receivers no longer function without a "hit" from the satellite but I think it's more like a month.

Hopper Go, when available, would be a great option for what you are considering. For now, if you have a tablet (iPad or Android) you can DOWNLOAD programs from your Hopper before you leave.

DishAnywhere might work but with limited bandwidth you most likely wouldn't get HD quality video. Your home's uplink internet speed is also a factor.

An external hard drive must be connected to a Dish VIP or Hopper receiver to function since the files are encrypted.

Thanks folks ... I have the answer now.

I decided I should get off my arse and just test the thing which was easier than I thought it would be. I disconnected the antenna and unplugged the receiver. Waited, plugged it back in and as soon as the download screen appeared I hit the DVR button and presto ... worked as usual. Watched a few minutes of a show.

So, it "appears" that it will indeed work, maybe because it is an older Hopper. I have no idea for how long but it is worth taking now.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Tron2012
I decided I should get off my arse and just test the thing which was easier than I thought it would be.

I was going to reply with the same thing. Just try unhooking the sat cable!!

You'll be fine. I've done this for years and could watch anything on the DVR. Again, not sure if anything really will timeout, but done this for up to 3 or 4 weeks and never had issues with accessing the already recorded content. Safe travels.

Not sure anyone can say how long it will work without "phoning home" and stopping. I've heard one week, one month, etc...

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Not sure anyone can say how long it will work without "phoning home" and stopping. I've heard one week, one month, etc...

How do I phone home and what does that mean. It is not connected to a phone line ... just the Internet

How do I phone home and what does that mean. It is not connected to a phone line ... just the Internet

:) Hall was just being goofy with an ET movie reference. It's not literally phoning. Just meant that the Hopper may try to periodically look for some sort of authorization signal and if it does not get one it will lock out or deactivate the Hopper in some way. It's more of a myth as no one I've heard from has ever shown proof that a DVR will "deactivate" itself and not allow access to recordings, etc... if it has been removed from the satellite signal for long periods of time.

I'm positive that people with newer receivers, like 622 and up, have deactivated after some period of time. Older DVRs, like 501, 508, etc will playback recording forever.

My 625 deactivated years ago when I disconnected it for 3 months of remodeling. It was a pain to get them to send a hit. I'm not sure if I could access the dvr as I never tried to. I'm sure it deactivated though.

If they had to re-send a "hit", it was deactivated. I suspect, but am not 100% positive, that you wouldn't have been able to watch any recordings.

I have a Hopper 2K that has been in the closet since March 2013. I just plugged it in and I can still watch all the recordings and even the Rentals that were on it. I can't access Prime Time folder though as it says no guide data.

Reactions: Tron2012
I have a Hopper 2K that has been in the closet since March 2013. I just plugged it in and I can still watch all the recordings and even the Rentals that were on it. I can't access Prime Time folder though as it says no guide data.
Leave it plugged in and test it from time to time, maybe each day, and then tell us when those recordings stop working, and they will...

Here is a follow-up that may help someone else..

I was gone 8 days and it worked perfectly.

Every time I turned it on the download screen appeared and I pressed the DVR button and all was normal.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts