Can I xfer Dish external HD programs to PC?

bwthomas831

Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Hi
I have a Dish 722 receiver with an external hard drive feature hooked up. I have no problems with the set up and all works as designed.
Question:
Can I take the external hard drive, attach it to my PC via the USB cable and transfer recorded content to the PC?
I am hoping to edit recorded shows to remove such items as commercials and unwanted content and then burn the results to a DVD.
Will I then be able to rehook the hard drive back to the Dish 722 without any adverse effects?
If it is not possible to xfer contents, then how can I edit recordings?

Yes you can, but you will not be able to view them as Dish encrypts their recordings. Also, after you have hooked the EHD to your PC then reconnect it to your Dish receiver, it will be reformated and you will lose any recordings (and anything else you have on it). There is no editing features available on Dish yet. You may want to record to your pc or dvd recorder and use their editing features but you will not be able to put them back onto the EHD and view through the Dish receiver.

Hi
I have a Dish 722 receiver with an external hard drive feature hooked up. I have no problems with the set up and all works as designed.
Question:
Can I take the external hard drive, attach it to my PC via the USB cable and transfer recorded content to the PC?
I am hoping to edit recorded shows to remove such items as commercials and unwanted content and then burn the results to a DVD.
Will I then be able to rehook the hard drive back to the Dish 722 without any adverse effects?
If it is not possible to xfer contents, then how can I edit recordings?

No. The programs are encrypted per DRM. No transfers, No edits. Play through receiver only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)