Can my dish network wireing be used for Directv

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
I am considering switching service and was wondering if the wireing already installed can be used for a Directv installation.

I currently have a two room setup with a dish500 and and dish300.

I know I will need to get the phase III dish etc but can the existing wireing be used?

Yes your current cables will work fine. However if you're installing an OTA Antenna or receivers with dual tuners, additional cable will have to be run.

zubinh said:
Yes your current cables will work fine. However if you're installing an OTA Antenna or receivers with dual tuners, additional cable will have to be run.

Thats what I was afarid of. Both of my recievers now are single tuner but both of the recievers that I want to get are dual tuner.

Directv doesnt have a dishpro 44/seperator esq type technology?

zubinh said:
Caveat: I'm NOT a D* expert.

I believe that some (many?, all?) D* multi-switches have built-in diplexers for OTA use. Even if your setup doesn't have that, there is no reason they couldn't be added where needed. So, no additional cable is needed to carry the OTA signal.

No clue how their dual-tuner systems are set up.

SimpleSimon said:
Caveat: I'm NOT a D* expert.

I believe that some (many?, all?) D* multi-switches have built-in diplexers for OTA use. Even if your setup doesn't have that, there is no reason they couldn't be added where needed. So, no additional cable is needed to carry the OTA signal.

No clue how their dual-tuner systems are set up.

Paradox -

SimpleSimon suggests you use a diplexer which basicaly merges your OTA and sat signal on one cable. Although this works very well for some, it doesnt work too well for many from my experience. I strongly suggest you ask your installer to run a seperate coax for the OTA.

zubinh said:
Paradox -

SimpleSimon suggests you use a diplexer which basicaly merges your OTA and sat signal on one cable. Although this works very well for some, it doesnt work too well for many from my experience. I strongly suggest you ask your installer to run a seperate coax for the OTA.

No, Simon did not say that. He said that the Diplexers are built into the direct tv hardware. They are.

Actually I said half of each., I was under the (apparently correct) impression that there is an OTA input port on D* switches. That means that effectively, the output signal has the OTA and satellite already diplexed. Therefore, if you need the OTA somewhere besides the D* receiver's satellite port, you can add a diplexer to do it.

Again, I don't know D* hardware - but if they put diplexers in their switches, they might well put them in the receivers, too. ;)

If anyone has had any problems with it, the first thing I would think is that the input OTA signal is too weak to handle being diplexed onto multiple feeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)