Can not pick up Shaw in North Georgia

ggilbert

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
LaFayette, GA
I am a long time Bell customer but with the changes, I bought a Shaw Direct system. My problem is that I can't find the Shaw satellites. I have had 2 different professional satellite installers try and they can't find 107.3 or 111.1. Let me rephrase that. We can't get anything to show on the receiver. Both installers have meters that show that we are on the right satellites. We have installed the dish just like the instruction say to do. Hooked up the xKU LNB by the directions. The dish is a 75 cm dish.
Just nothing on the receiver. Any suggestions anyone?

BTW, I an in NW GA. South of Chattanooga, TN.

ggilbert said:
I am a long time Bell customer but with the changes, I bought a Shaw Direct system. My problem is that I can't find the Shaw satellites. I have had 2 different professional satellite installers try and they can't find 107.3 or 111.1. Let me rephrase that. We can't get anything to show on the receiver. Both installers have meters that show that we are on the right satellites. We have installed the dish just like the instruction say to do. Hooked up the xKU LNB by the directions. The dish is a 75 cm dish.
Just nothing on the receiver. Any suggestions anyone?

BTW, I am located in NW Ga. Right below Chattanooga, Tn.

Since you have a new system, probably with the new 600 series receivers your LNBFs and receivers you will probably have to call Shaw and have them send you an ECM to switch you over to the old specs. I'm not familiar with the exact details of what they have to do but remember, you're not with Bell anymore so you can feel free to give them a call and they should be helpful in getting you up and running.
Don

don8ch we didnt have to call SHaw to get a signal. I don't know what a ECM is but the only ppl I've seen mention they had to call Shaw had old rcvrs and were moving to a new dish. ggilbert should have everything new. I bet frenchophile is right and ggilbert got the old instructions. So did we. :-( we were pretty frustrated until we read some forums and found out about ch. 252. ggilbert what ch. have you been trying??

If the OP is in Georgia an xKu LNB is probably a bad idea due to potential simsubbing issues. Best bet is to find someone up in the Northern US who's in the G1 spot and see if they can swap LNBs.

If the OP is in Georgia an xKu LNB is probably a bad idea due to potential simsubbing issues.

Since there are no G1 channels mapped, this will not be the issue.

Most likely the installer pointed the dish at 107.3, it needs to be pointed at 111.1 (F2).

The dish is pointed at where dishpointer.com said to point it They have a setting for dual satellites. Besides the meter says that we can receive both satellites.

The dish needs to point at the coordinates for 111.1 West.
For Chattanooga, that would be 41 elevation @ true azimuth heading of 220.
Before doing this, make sure that your skew is set to 122 on back of the dish.
Then use channel 252 to tune in the Xtended Ku Quad LNBF.

Those are the coordinates I have been using. I went out and bought my own satellite meter. A First Strike brand. On the meter I am receiving a 82% signal. Nothing on the receiver. Could I have a bad receiver? Should I send it back to KU Sat and get a new one? Can't be the LNB because it shows up on the sat meter.

Last edited:
Satellite Expert said:
Since there are no G1 channels mapped, this will not be the issue.

Most likely the installer pointed the dish at 107.3, it needs to be pointed at 111.1 (F2).

Sorry, I just meant in general it's a bad idea. Or will be in six months.

Jables we're in "very southern Canada" and we have the new LNB too, why is that bad? I don't understand what simsubbing has to do with finding a signal or why its bad for people in Georgia or wherever. We don't get any different simsubbing from people in Canada its the same satellite! Anybody who buys a Cdn sat system knows that in primetime their going to see Cdn stations instead of US stations, so what?

Nothing to do with finding a signal - didn't mean to confuse the situation. The problem is that it's highly likely that West coast Canadian nets will be added on G1, and so after launch if you try to record any simsubbed show on a West coast American net, you will end up with nothing because the receiver will record the Canadian net, which you can't receive. If you keep the old style LNB, you won't have channel maps for the West coast Canadian nets, and since simsubbing is done by the receiver, you won't have the issue and your recording of the American net will still be successful.

Since being able to time-shift with East and West feeds is one of the more popular reasons to have Canadian dishes down here, breaking that would be an issue for a lot of people.

Oh I see yes how that could happen in the future. I hope if it does people will warn us about it so we can choose another time or channel! I usually record off a Cdn channel anyway because I know that even if I put the rcvr on an American channel its going to get the Cdn channel. Thanks for the warning.

Does anyone know if it is possible to see Anik F1 107.3 & Anik F2 111.1 in north Georgia? I have been trying for over a month to tune in these satellites. Some online sat pointer pages say that they are over the horizon.
My Long: 85º16'34"W Lat: 34º42'36"N

Some online sat pointer pages say that they are over the horizon.

No, this is not so. The satellites are located in a band that is over the equator. If you are at approximately 35 degrees north and 85 degrees west, then the Shaw satellites are well within your reach. The only reason that I can think of that your are getting this information from "some online sat pointer pages" is that you are not entering your longitude as negative value (or as "West"), which is placing your location in the eastern hemisphere, in which case the Shaw satellites are over the horizon.

I am at approximately the same latitude as you, (though much further west), and I can tell you that the 75e dish is nowhere near being pointed at the horizon.

You should rely on the information in Post #10. If you use Dishpointer and select "Multiple LNB Setups" your will get information that is a little "off", though not significantly so. Rather, you should select "All Satellites" and then find Anik F2 in the dropdown. The boresite (the LNB arm) of your dish should be pointed toward F2. When the skew is properly set, you will also receive the signal from F1R. Note that skewing the dish will result in it being turned in a clockwise direction when viewed from the back.

All that being said, it almost sounds like a break in the connection between the point where your are connecting the meter and the receiver in the house. (I'm assuming you do not have the receiver and a small TV on the roof so that you can connect it to the same location that you have connected the meter.) If you can take the TV and receiver up to the dish and make your connection there, it would eliminate the possibility of a bad connection. If such is the case, it almost has to be a receiver problem. When you say that you get no signal, what level of signal does the signal meter show when your are tuned to the correct channel....is it zero.....or about 20?

I have legacy equipment, so I cannot help you with advice on the xKu LNB.

Here's an afterthought: You mentioned that you had Bell before purchasing ShawDirect. Is it possible that you have some "Bell gadgets" in the line from the dish to your receiver, such as splitters or switches? If so, you might consider removing them and making a direct connection from the dish to your receiver to see if that eliminates the problem.

Last edited:
Thank you for some very helpful information. I ran new coaxial cabe to the Shaw receiver. I will use the new coordinates from dish pointer and see if that works. Will let you know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)