Can one of you Dish retailers explain this to me?

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
I got DishNetwork many years ago. I did a self install. At that time I'm not even sure they HAD installers all over the place. they sent me a box. I installed the dish, ran the cables, activated, everything.

So I call Dish after a few YEARS of service and I'm looking for a second receiver. Or a receiver upgrade or something. Let's just say, I wanted to change something. I called Dish direct, not a local retailer.

OK so the local installer shows up to do my upgrade. Intertech is the local place that Dish apparently calls to set up installs and whatever. They've always been ok... not great... just ok. The job gets done. Some of their guys borrow my tools, my ladder, and generally speaking, while they've all been very nice, I really didn't want them man-handling my AV equipment. And when tehy installed the second dish they ran the cables right over the edge of the roof and over the gutter and then under the eaves and down the side of my house to the "main" dish below. This is what I call a crappy install, but it worked.

Now I find a guy that installs OTA antennas, and is a dealer for Dish and DirecTV. I really like him. He does really nice work. And even if I had to PAY him, I'd rather have him do my upgrades and installs than anyone else. He tells me he can't because Intertech has to do them because I'm like "their" customer or something like that. Like once you have a dish subcontractor do something you have to use them forever.

All I can say is, "WTF?"

Is that how it works? If that's the case, then when my current commitment is up, I'm going to cancel, and have my wife call this guy and add "apartment 1" to our address (even though it's a single family home) so I can use who I want. This is bull**** as far as I'm concerned.

It would be different if I got STARTED with Dish by walking into Intertech and asking them about it. Or if they even did the initial install. But they didn't.

*I* did.

Even your local cable company uses contractors. Welcome to the 21st century of not wanting to hire anyone for fear that they will want basic health insurance and some sort of retirement plan.

The contractor is not the point. The point is that I did a self install initially and once the local dish contractor touched my system, now I can't use anyone else?

The contractor is not the point. The point is that I did a self install initially and once the local dish contractor touched my system, now I can't use anyone else?
If you pay up front to have someone else who is authorized, sometimes you can get reimbursed. I wouldn't depend on it though.

Unless someone is committed, I usually recommend that they use their "official" dealer because other dealers often cannot offer the same kinds of promotions and special offers outside of their registered client base.

It is called dealer of record. And NO you are NOT intertech's cust your dealer of record would be DISH corp. But the same rules apply only they can do the work for compensation. The dealer you like can do ANY work you pay for. What he means is that DISH will not give him any incentives to do your work. But you can..

We have that problem all the time.
Good Luck..

By DISH'S contract with the Retailer only the ROR (Retailer of Record) or DISH Network is allowed to upgrade you under DISH promotions. Any dealer can work for you but you must pay for everything, no discounted receivers dishes or switches. No dealer that I have met likes this arrangement and Directv dosen't place this restriction on the dealers. D* does have other restrictions that makes their upgrades as hard to do.

The worst thing about ROR (retailer of record) is Dish can steal a retailers customer, but a retailer can't get a customer originally set up by Dish!!!!

fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)