Can only get 110 OR 119 but not both... Please Help!

Snidely_W

Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Rochester NY
DP311 receiver and two single LNBs into a SW21. Doing a "check switch" shows only one satellite. Although I know I have a good 70 db signal on both satellites, I can only receive channels from one OR the other. It won't always let me choose, either... sometimes I can arrow up to 119 or down to 110 and it will go "green" and start using just that satellite, but I can never receive both. I tried two other SW21's and the results were the same (my spare switches were bought new off Ebay but I haven't tested them on a working setup to be certain they're good).
I have a spare DP311 which is not activated and I hooked it up just to see if it would find both satellites, but it was exactly the same - although "point dish" has 70 db on both 110 and 119, only one or the other will go green for "locked".
I was going to order another SW21 but wanted to ask you smart people first to see if there's something I'm not seeing here.
OH, one more bit of info - I was using a DP500 with the usual twin LNB but I was getting terrible reception on 119, so I tried moving the dish. I finally found I had to use two different locations to get strong reception, so I put in my spare DP500 to receive 119. That's why I'm now using two single LNBs and a switch.
Thanks, best regards -
Snidely_W

The check switch function does not always have the same results - sometimes it finds NO satellites. If I highlight either 110 or 119 in "point dish" one or the other may go green for "locked" but never both. Also, sometimes it will be green for one and scrolling to the other satellite will switch that satellite to green for locked, in which case the first satellite VU meter will be red (even though the VU bar shows I have a strong signal). However, most times it will stay locked on one satellite and will only allow me to switch satellites after many various attempts.
To tell you more details I'd have to go home and try it again because I don't recall more...

starting to sound like it might be a cable issue between the box and the switch
can you run a temporary replacement line to check ?

Kinda hard to determine because the symptoms you're seeing could be caused by bad cable, bad switch, bad connectors on cable, or bad LNB (even if it's an 'inactive' state). Just swap/take out one element at a time until you find the part that's broke... The easiest first step probably would be to run a separate cable to each dish/LNB, bypassing the switch and existing cable, and see if you get good signal to 110 all by itself and then 119 all by itself. (That will determine that dishes are pointed correctly and LNBs are good... now you're down to bad cable, bad switch, or bad end connectors.) Then try adding back switch, replacing end connectors, or even replacing cable if necessary until you get to everything working correctly.

Some of the receivers quit working with the sw-21 switches a while back even if you have the legacy lnb's (particularly the cascading of legacy twin with sw-21 to legacy single). I recommend going DP-21 with DP lnb's or other DP/DPP setups.

Thank you all so much, I was thinking it had to be the switch but I can try a new cable. However, I have no spare single-LNBs on hand to swap out as a test... the closest thing I have is a DP twin LNB, but as I mentioned already, I don't have a really clear path to BOTH satellites from any point on my property, which is why I'm using two locations with single LNBs (one mounted on the right side of a dish 500's arm and the other on a dish 500's left).
Will get back here when I know more. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts