Can only get mono sound

Odyseus

Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
I have a Dish Pro 301 and can only get mono sound. Is there anything I can do to get stereo sound? I searched and found a similar thread from April but nobody answered the guy's questioned.

I'll answer all the stupid questions right now. I do have a stereo TV, I'm using the RCA connectors not coax, the cable is not broken (I have verified this by using other cables which I am positive work and still only have mono sound), I am not using secondary audio, and everything else I hook up to my TV DOES have stereo sound. Please note that I am not only going by what I hear, but my TV has an indicator when you press the Info button that tells if the signal is stereo or mono. The TV indicates that the signal is mono.

I have searched the receiver over and over for some kind of switch or button and I have searched every single menu option to no avail. What am I missing? Is stereo sound just not an option on the 301 receivers?

*Edit* I forgot to answer one last stupid question. Every single channel is mono all the time. It is not just one show or one channel.

What is MTS?

I have connected my VCR, Super NES, and even my PC using the same connectors on the TV and they all register as stereo sources.

On most TV's, the "stereo" light you are talking about does NOT function at all when you are using ANY other inputs than the coax input. (is is ONLY for the RF/coax connection) If you ARE, in fact, using the RCA A/V outputs - relax, you ARE getting stereo sound.

I'll make myself a little more clear. I have tried recording shows using a TV tuner card in my PC and it is blaringly apparent that the sound is mono. There is 0 seperation between the left and right channel.

Multichannel television sound, better known as MTS or (BTSC), is the method of encoding three additional channels of audio onto an NTSC-format video signal.

I asked because most of the TV's I've have seen only indicate stereo when receiving a signal through the antenna (coax) connection. Sounds like yours behaves differently.

What is the make and model?

If you unplug the left or right RCA connector do you loose sound in one speaker?

NightRyder

My TV is an RCA GuidePlus Gold. Whenever I try to record anything on my PC I connect the sound output of the receiver directly to the Line In connection on my Sound Blaster Live! And before anybody asks, the converter I use does work because when I use it in reverse (to output sound from my PC to the TV) I get clear stereo seperation. More specifically, the Creative Surround Mixer tests the channels by playing a .WAV file which says LEFT CHANNEL and RIGHT CHANNEL. The correct sound comes out of the correct speaker on the TV. My converter was designed with input in mind though because it came with the tuner card. The tuner card doesn't support audio input so you have to pipe it directly to the sound card.

Also, I have 4.1 surround sound speakers on my PC. It is very easy to hear the difference between left and right channels and in the case of my satellite receiver, there is none. The exact same sound comes from all 4 speakers... :(

Odyseus, It sounds like your 301 is only providing output through one of the RCA connections. According to the service manual for your type of tv the stereo indicator light comes on if it is receiving a signal at both left and right inputs. At this point, if your 301 is still under warranty, I would call Dish and get a replacement. If your not under warranty it might be a good time to think about upgrading.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)