Can picture quality be effected by the cold

s10zr2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Cincinnati, Ohio
Does anyone know if the picture quality can be effected by the cold? I don't mean pixilization, but the quality of the picture. I have noticed the picture seems to be not a sharp as it was. Not on all channels. Could be just a compression issue or something else, but it is pretty cold here (19 or so) and this is when I started noticing it. Happening on all boxes (622, 222k).

If cold affected picture quality, then you would have an error message and no picture whatsoever!! ( - :

The retina in your eyes are frozen. ( - :

Seriously.. I doubt it. The only thing that I can guess is perhaps ice on the dish would cause pixelation if it forced the signal strength down to the fringe of reception.

Dish is adding HD locals and the bandwidth has to come from somewhere so you might be seeing some of that. I'm just speculating, but perhaps they made some adjustments for the sports channels (with all the recent bowl games?) and haven't adjusted back to the 'normal' bandwidth characteristics (?).

It's been bone-freakin' cold where I live too. (down in the teens at night) and haven't noticed a change.

Or perhaps you're just getting past the, OMG this HD is awesome phase.. (kinda like we do with marriage?)

I have heard LNB work better cold. I have heard of people using Peltier cooling to chill LNB in order to boost signal to noise.

The reality though is that cold is more likely to knock out your signal completely by shrinking poorly connected/terminated coaxial connections than it is to make any other real differences.

no it can not affect the picture

Believe me...its been -15 to -20 in the morning for the last week here in Minneapolis and the picture looks the same

In the cold the LNB's actually can work BETTER than when warm out :)

Believe me...its been -15 to -20 in the morning for the last week here in Minneapolis and the picture looks the same

Well RF wise you can get a better signal in cold dry air vs humid hot day (not always but most of the time.) But affect the "quality" of the received picture no.

Now in the old analog days there was some truth to that i.e. clear picture vs a snowy one on weak signals stations.

Not the Cold

Does anyone know if the picture quality can be effected by the cold? I don't mean pixilization, but the quality of the picture. I have noticed the picture seems to be not a sharp as it was. Not on all channels. Could be just a compression issue or something else, but it is pretty cold here (19 or so) and this is when I started noticing it. Happening on all boxes (622, 222k).

The only thing we have had to keep our eye out for was an accumulation of Snow and/or Ice on the Dish. We can reach our Dish and brush off the snow with a dust mop.

Ok thanks for all the info from everybody. I guess it must be dish. I notice that the picture will look great sometimes on different channels and then another week not look as sharp. People in other posts say its because dish is constantly changing there bandwidth on channels to make room for more channels, or for certain events. What can you do, but deal with it. Still better than the cable picture!

You're listening to too many rumors from speculators who know nothing but pontificate about everything.

In the old analog satellite tv days the LNB's were susceptible to temperature variations and the older/cheaper ones actually worked better when it was cold outside. For my cheap setup the picture actually looked much better (and it was not a placebo effect) with no 'sparklies.'

In the digital world you either have a picture or you don't (minus a few stages in between when you see lots of pixellation). If anything you would see a higher signal strength during colder weather but I have heard that today's LNB's are not very susceptible to temperature variations.

If you think about it, 99% of the distance the sat signal travels is through space which has a temperature just 2-3 degrees above absolute zero. SO the "cold" really doesn't have an effect on the "signal". If you are truly seeing changes in PQ that correspond to temperature, I would look at the equipment and cable outside. As others have pointed out, though, with a digital signal it should pretty much be all or nothing (or pixelated images), not reduced PQ.

Ah, a word from someone who actually lives where its cold. In the teens, cold? :D We've been getting temps similar to you, colder some days. Some people have no idea what cold really is.

You're listening to too many rumors from speculators who know nothing but pontificate about everything.
About the only post worth reading in this thread. Of course temperature can freeze moisture and affect bad connections, wiring, cracked/ chipped Lnbs and etc and in turn affect your PQ.

Ah, a word from someone who actually lives where its cold. In the teens, cold? :D We've been getting temps similar to you, colder some days. Some people have no idea what cold really is.

Here in KC, MO...we're under the artic blast alright!! In the mornings it gets down to like - 10 or so. I know it's nothing compared to the ICEMAN...but still...sheesh...its cold enough for me!! And the snow to boot...but..alas...my DISH still keeps on...

May warm weather come your way SOON!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)