Can removal of Twin LNB casing harm it?

f13dfx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I am doing a modification and I am intending to remove the plastic casing off a DPP Twin LNB so that I can attach it to my Winegard 76cm dish. I've actually got it mounted already (with the case on) but just temporarily with industrial double-sided tape.

The idea with removing the casing is that so I can use the Winegard's LNB mounting ring/bracket on one of the bare necks of the twin LNB. This would also allow me to adjust the skew of the LNB later.

It is quite possible that after removal of the plastic casing, I can put it back on with some cutting around the part where my Winegard LNB bracket is.

The purpose of this mod is so I only have to run 1 RG6 cable from my DishPro Plus Twin LNB to my 942 receiver, as well as to make use of my 76cm Winegard dish which I stopped using for FTA :)

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated

sure you can. I have gutted just around the eye (right behind it) to mount on a Winegard 30" dish. I also took the whole casing off with no issues. The LNB's are sealed :)

Iceberg:

Thanks! That's good to know. One other note, I am having problems getting the 2nd satellite, whether it be 110 or 119, but only because I have mounted the LNB temporarily with double-sided tape. It's raining right now so I'm taking a break :). When I finally get to mounting my twin LNB on the Winegard bracket, will adjusting the skew angle bring in the 2nd satellite?

Cheers!
sure you can. I have gutted just around the eye (right behind it) to mount on a Winegard 30" dish. I also took the whole casing off with no issues. The LNB's are sealed :)

it should

If the neck of the LNB doesn't fit on the holder, I wrapped mine with masking, electrical or duct tape to fill in the hole. Works better :)

When I had a different setup, I had a dish for Galaxy 10 (Free to air satellite at 123W) and a gutted DishPro LNB for 119

The one on the left in the 1st picture is the DishPro Dual

Last edited:
I see no issue with it, the plastic housing does provide some protection from the elements.

As a precaution, I would get somc clear silicone and run a bead around the edges of the LNB to help further water proof the LNB.

worse case scenario the LNB goes bad and your out $45. Its not like its a $200 part!!!!

Cosmetic

The plastic case is cosmetic only. It doesn't do anything other than help with a mounting bracket for the dish. It doesn't seal out any water or dust. The LNB is sealed using a very water tight gasket.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)