Can someone recommend an external hard drive?

Yes. The one I have that they are out of stock has the internal connections to use an IDE or SATA drive. Mine has the SATA drive in it. The other one I sent just has internal connections for an IDE drive.

Main thing I would look for is a 16MB buffer. I like Western Digital but I think that's a personal preference.

I just used my new enclosure to look at the contents of my sister's hard drive that won't boot. She thought she had lost all of her documents and I told her to give me the drive and I would see what I could do. I had to change the owner of some folders but was able to use the Eagle enclosure to recover her files. That's an added benefit of using an external enclosure compared to something prebuilt by WD, Seagate, etc.

Here is a link to just the enclosure.
Eaglebit.com - Eagle Consus W-Series ET-CSWSIU2-BK 3.5 inch USB 2.0 to IDE + SATA Aluminum External Enclosure with built-in Heat sink - Retail

Seagate

I am having trouble with a Seagate FreeAgent HD. The problem seems related to the fact that the Seagate drive spins down if there is no activity. So far Seagate has been no help. To use the Seagate HD I have to disconnect either the USB cable or the power cable. No where on the Saegate box do they tell you that power management is done in the drive not in the computer. Dish TS has been clueless. I am trying to find the best work around.:mad:

I am having trouble with a Seagate FreeAgent HD. The problem seems related to the fact that the Seagate drive spins down if there is no activity. So far Seagate has been no help. To use the Seagate HD I have to disconnect either the USB cable or the power cable. No where on the Saegate box do they tell you that power management is done in the drive not in the computer. Dish TS has been clueless. I am trying to find the best work around.:mad:

I have the Seagate FreeAgent 500GB HD and have had no problems. I set the power setting to 'Never' sleep. You have to go to support.seagate.com. Download the 'Drive Manager' software for the Free Agent. With the hard drive plugged into the computer, open up the 'Drive Manager' program where you can change the power settings to 'Never' sleep. It's been written about quite a bit in this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-hd-discussions/98808-hard-drive-bargain-watch-45.html

I can recommend you NOT buy the WD MyBook 500. It's discontinued anyway. I've started having problems with mine. The light flashes slowly and the ViP622 doesn't see it. Rebooting doesn't help. Sometimes it comes back to life. I'm looking for a replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)