Can Someone Summarize Dish's Plans?

TennVolFan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2004
Been away for 6 months or so, but I'm curious as to Dish's plans as far as SuperDish, HD Locals, standard def locals, internationals, 121, 105, 129, 561.5, and 148. How will it all fit together and what kind of eequipment will people need? Will the HD channels like ESPN HD and HBO HD, which are currently at 110, move to other slots...like an HD "super slot", thus freeing some room on 110 for new standard def channels? Anyway, I'd love it if someone would summarize Dish's configuration of the future...including any guesses as to any big shifts in channels to ddifferent slots (like all international migrating to slot XXX or the creation of a permanent HD slot). Thanks.

There is no clear cut answer.

With Dish's announcement of the Dish 1000 it throws things in the air.

Chances are most HD will be on 129 in the future. But untill official announced and launched that is subject to change.

I'm curious when every channel is coverted to mpeg4, would it eliminate the need for 61.5, 129, 148 & 157 slots? And if so what in your opinions will dish do with those slots.

Dish will put more and more of the content up in HD as the networks all convert from SD. The additional sats will be required just to keep the same number of channels.

I doubt it. If they put all of the national programming on the Dish 1000, and left all of the others open for locals, LILHD, and internationals.. they would have almost everyone within a 4 sat solution.

LILHD, unless they come up with something revolutionary, will take up buckets of bandwidth. They'll need plenty of locations to cover that, even if they go with LILHD under the "significantly viewed" clause. Most people don't want local news in HD, they want the major network programming. So say 50 major cities out of the lot, with 4-7 channels per city, with HD Transponders under MPEG4 maybe compressing all under one transponder... you're talking 50 transponders alone for LILHD or 2 satellites.

and that's being conservative.

Lets just hope that those with a SuperDish can just simply have the 129 lnbf added to pick up that slot instead of having to put up another dish. They could at least have a dish or most likely an lnbf upgrade in order to recieve it).

I can see that easily on the 121 SD... since the LNB is in the middle, just one more off to the other side. The 105 dishes on the other hand... you're talkin 10 degrees off to the side of the farthest lnb.... might work.

Anyone for a SuperDuperDish Mad scientist thread?

I'm looking forward to an 8LNB dish that comes with a book of cusswords you can use when you can't get the thing to peak after 2 hours of trying ;)

And of course, Appendix B.. for when the 50lb topheavy thing falls off your roof because the wind weakened the bolts :shocked :D

Realistically, I want a Dish 1000.. it looks like a mini superdish, except it's not a superdish, and it'd look cute next to a real superdish XD

I think their plans are to confuse us with lotsa numbers. Take that DP21, hook it up to an E*DPPLNB peaked at 129 with a DP44 in between, but if you don't have DP, you'll want an SW64, which to get you'll have to take the #6 downtown, catch the 58, transfer to the 26, and then it's express all the way out. :yes

It seems to me that Dish is trying every angle to get more bandwidth. They are probably trying everything, seeing what they can get and what works and then will try to make the best of it. They are already committed to build around 7 satellites for slots they have acquired but do not have satellites in orbit (3 Ku-AUX, 3-KA and 157DBS). Not to mention Echostar10 to launch soon...

The SuperDish should be able to get the 129 satellite. Seeing how it can go from 105 to 119 comfortably (14 degrees to the right) it should have enough room to go at least 14 degrees to the left. That would end up being 91. This means they should be able to pickup 91-119 and if they can go to 129 then they can go to 81 on the left side as well. DirecTv plans on having the 5 lnbf dish but are the slots for that dish going to be closer than 9 degrees each?

I know that they will not make a dish larger than the current dish (maybe three more inches to reach their limit if they really had to) so they will have to make do with what oribal slots they can pick up with that size of dish. Now if they were to develop that dual reflector dish then they could pick up even more orbital slots which should pick up almost everything except maybe the wings that they would want. That would be the ultimate solution but lets hope this will not have to happen (unless this would reduce the current size of the dish - SuperDish).

When you figure it out, tell E*. They havn't figured it out yet. :D

In progress:
New Dish1000 unveiled but no satellite at 129 today ... E5 (spare) will move there.
Up to 16 transponders (192 SD channels or 48 MPEG2 HD) will be used for E*.
Expected content is ALL RUMOR (I expect locals, not HD).

E4 (currently parked at 157) will move to 77 (mexican slot) or 61.5 if permission to go to 77 is refused. (FCC Filings)

First E* MPEG4 receiver, the 411, was unveiled to dealers last Friday. First availability will be at least August. This receiver replaces the 311 and 811 and will receive everything E* will be sending in the predictable future.

AMC-15 is still testing other slots and will eventually find its way to 105 to replace the not-so-good AMC-2 footprint, improving service at that location.

E10 will launch later this year and go to 110. The spotbeam capability of E10 is much higher than existing E* birds and is likely to fix the wing 'extra' locals problem. It should also open up more transponders for HD. (MPEG4 HD at 6 per transponder?)

A lot going on ... few things announced. Mostly watch and see. :D

JL

Can they get the price down on the 411 to what the 111 or at least what the 311 is or can we expect higher prices? If they are smart they will make 411 the standard reciever and make it as cheap as the current cheap SD recievers. Making them more expensive would prevent them from getting into additional househoulds as quick because people are going to take the cheapest route possible not realizing the benefits of HD.

One wonders if they really move R-1 to 110 if they will move E10 to 129... They could have a lot of LIL HD coverage with 2 spot beam satellites like R-1 and E10.

mike123abc said:
One wonders if they really move R-1 to 110 if they will move E10 to 129... They could have a lot of LIL HD coverage with 2 spot beam satellites like R-1 and E10.
We never did hear any more about the (alleged) R1 move. 1st day before the floor open we heard that but nothing mentioned in any of the following days?

E10 will best serve E* at 110 ... fast becoming E*'s most important location. Most subscribers can already get this location and doing dish swaps for millions is not a good idea. I do like the idea of moving E8 to 129 for its spot beam capabilities. It all depends on what E10 can actually do.

It would also be interesting to have E7 and E8 both at 119, but they may not have the uplink capacity there to support 50 spots and 11 ConUS beams. (Can a third ground site be supported by E7 or E8?) Two uplink centers to E7 works nicely. Depending on what transponders are used for spots on E10 I could see a swap of E7 and E8 to maximize spots at 110.

But E* does want ConUS beams at 110 as well ... so parking a spotbeam satellite to maximize what they can do at 129 isn't a bad idea. The only problem would be making sure the spots fall somewhere useful and are not just duplication. (Then again, if they are HD locals duplicate coverage is a good thing!)

JL

Dish Network will want to upgrade as few people as possible so perhaps 129 will serve the rest of the LIL markets.

Dish Network is a publicly traded company so is Direct TV.

They have to be real careful about giving any forward looking statements about the future, hence they look like they have no plans.

Same with Direct TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts