Can hopper 3 be used without signal?

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
Saw a 9 year old thread asking this question but tech has changed a lot.
I'm going to likely be without a dish for at least 2 days while my house gets a new roof.
Can I still watch recorded stuff on my Hopper 3 and will the OTA channels still come in from my antenna without a dish on the roof?

Recording yes, ota supposed to be able to but in my experience it's a no because once it shows complete signal loss there's no way to access the guide or change the channel. But you can connect the ota direct to your TV and watch them that way for the moment.

Recording yes, ota supposed to be able to but in my experience it's a no because once it shows complete signal loss there's no way to access the guide or change the channel. But you can connect the ota direct to your TV and watch them that way for the moment.
Kind of a suggestion. If you are going to move your OTA from the Hopper to your TV, simply add a splitter with 2 short coaxes, one to the Hopper and one to the TV. That way you will always have a backup.

Kind of a suggestion. If you are going to move your OTA from the Hopper to your TV, simply add a splitter with 2 short coaxes, one to the Hopper and one to the TV. That way you will always have a backup.
Good idea, but the TV and Dish are so close together, for this purpose, I'd just move the antenna coax to the TV during the time my house is reroofed. I was hoping I could watch recordings though since my roofer said "likely 2 days; could be up to 4".

Reactions: charlesrshell
Good idea, but the TV and Dish are so close together, for this purpose, I'd just move the antenna coax to the TV during the time my house is reroofed. I was hoping I could watch recordings though since my roofer said "likely 2 days; could be up to 4".
Like I said in my post you can watch recordings. That's a for sure thing as well as any internet based viewing such as on demand and Netflix.

Reactions: charlesrshell