Can "Thanks for being an E* subscriber" charge be avoided?

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
Times are tough for some of us, that means saving $. My father just canceled his E* sub, along with his cell and internet. I told him E* is going to charge him $30 to return 2 rcvrs. He was surprised that E* would charge him to return their property. He asked why? I told him it was a "Thanks for being a Dish Network subscriber". I know it's a F@#* YOU charge for dropping E*. His commitment was over a long time ago and is not stuck with the early termination fee.

Is there a way to avoid this charge, or is he stuck with the charge?

Unfortunately, Stuck. New policy since February. As much as I like
Dish, I don't agree with this one.

He can either pay the charge or he can pay for shipping back to Dish. Problem is that I doubt he'll be able to find a trackable carrier (NOT the Postal Service) that can return his equipment for under $30. If he doesn't return the equipment he's looking at a much higher charge for not returning the leased equipment. Lots of folks don't like it but there doesn't seem to be a lot that can be done.

EDIT: I just noticed that you live in El Paso. I don't know if your father lives in El Paso or not but if he does then he could just drive to the Dish Network location that's in El Paso. It's a combination call center/shipping warehouse that shouldn't be hard to look up in the phone book.

I know were the building is but I was not sure if that was posible because it has ECHOSTAR on the outside. I know DISH and ECHOSTAR parted was a while back. I'll try to return the rcvrs for him. It's only about a 20 min. drive from his house. It's better than getting charged $30 to return by UPS.

I know were the building is but I was not sure if that was posible because it has ECHOSTAR on the outside. I know DISH and ECHOSTAR parted was a while back. I'll try to return the rcvrs for him. It's only about a 20 min. drive from his house. It's better than getting charged $30 to return by UPS.

Ummm, Dish just spun off Echostar as a separate Company.

Ummm, Dish just spun off Echostar as a separate Company.

about 2 years ago ;)

On January 1, 2008, the company completed its spinoff of its technology and set-top box business into a separate publicly traded company, EchoStar Communications Corporation, effectively splitting the original EchoStar into two separate businesses

Cough cough directv doesnt charge to get out equipment back cough cough Charlie cough cough.

Charlie if you reading this grow up get a life and stop sucking money out of customers.

Just got off with E* csr. He told me that I could return the units to the ECHOSTAR building only if the return address on the boxes are going to the building here in El Paso. I don't know the return address 'cause they havn't arrived yet. I'll still try to return them here in El Paso even if the boxes are to go to another location. I'll just make sure I get a written conformation before releasing the rcvrs.

Cheap Charlie, I don't have to worry about return charges if I cancel my subscription. Know what I mean? besides, I don't plan to cancel it any time soon.

Wait untill I get charged $15 for returning E* property, Then see what happends!
I'm waiting for my return box as we speak.

I've finally had enough of the E*/Charlie BullSH$%.

you can aovid the charge from E. just simply pay the charge to UPS yourself. then its not E charging you anymore. and it will probably cost you more as well. or you can drive down to EL Paso and drop it off yourself.

Hemi 6.1 said:
Yep, I'll keep my LNBs too!;)

Did that just last week. Sent back the receivers. If they want the LNB they are more than welcome to come snatch it off my roof.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts