Can the internet handle streaming?

Unicast streaming is undeniably the worst possible use of bandwidth. I can see a mom and pop operation in Montana or Wyoming going full streaming but I'm wondering what level of network management would be required for a cable franchise to go full streaming much less going full on to the broader Internet.

We've already heard about some streaming services opening up subsystems within cable franchise networks in an effort to take the load off of the Internet proper.

Reactions: TheKrell
The best way to live video streaming is via radiowaves!:bounce

No servers overloads on OTA and DBS, FTA satellite freqs, bands.

That's why internet video streamings don't do well on overload.

Can you think if the Super Bowl live broadcast was streaming only on internet, no OTA, DBS, FTA satellites.

If that's happens the system will crash down!:eeek

It'll handle it just fine. And if it gets to the point where it can't, they'll develop a hybrid or modification so it will work again. On and on...
What do you propose that those impacted do until the upgrades take place? We're talking about millions of sessions being added per month.

Reactions: JSheridan
The internet is expandible, more fiber lines are being strung across the continent and more servers and networks being added. With 5G on the horizon it will mature to replace cable tv, what the future holds in that category remains to be seen.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Various estimates indicate that only a bit over half of the fiber already in the ground is currently in use. The large amount of "dark fiber" is a result of the high cost of burying it versus the cost of the fiber itself. Typically the fiber materials only amount to about 10% of the total run cost, with labor, easements, and equipment making up the rest. Because of the low materials costs, it makes sense to lay multiple fiber runs at the same time to cover both future expansion and in place spares needs. There are a lot of other costs involved in Internet capacity expansion of course...

Reactions: TheKrell
We had 3 fiber company’s lay fiber thru our railroad yard. (Follow the Rivers and Tracks). It took about a year for each company to go through. All the obstacles and trains caused many delays. The RR Yard was huge. When I retired 8 years ago the last I heard that it was barely being used. But I made lots of overtime making sure they did no damage and didn’t get hit by trains. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts