Can the OTA module receive Canadian Stations?

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
Sorry in advance if this has been answered before (tried searching it but couldn't find any results). I was curious to know if the OTA module can pick up Canadian TV stations. I'm asking because the Canadian stations are switching to digital on the 31st and if I can get a good signal on CBC Windsor (CBET channel 9), it would be cool if I can record programs from that channel using the OTA module. (I don't have one yet. Still debating whether to get one or not)

It can record them if your in range of the signal. You just wouldn't get any guide info because it is a Canadian station. So you would have to setup manual timers.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

It can record them if your in range of the signal. You just wouldn't get any guide info because it is a Canadian station. So you would have to setup manual timers.

Yeah I wasn't expecting the guide info. Just needed to know if it can pick up the signal. I don't mind having to setup manual timers.

ckhalil18 said:
Yeah I wasn't expecting the guide info. Just needed to know if it can pick up the signal. I don't mind having to setup manual timers.

Yep as long as your in range of the signal it should pick it up fine. CBET's digital will be broadcast in ATSC just like the American Detroit signals. You can get a remanufactured one from Dishstore.net for $35 and a brand new one from Dish for $50.

Actually most have been transmitting digital quite a while. The 31st is just the drop dead date(cut over to ATSC) for NTSC for them. Just like here when we shut down almost every analog signal.

Isn't there some way DISH could access Bell's programming database and provide border people with nearby station guide info?
No, Dish won't do that because Dish has no business providing information of Bell to consumers and Bell would not do that with Dish.
Bell & Dish are two separate companies although they share use of Echostar's technology.

I have been receiving CBC (CBET 9.1) from Windsor via my 722K receiver with OTA module. So far guide shows station name and number without any program info. Guide says "Digital Service". I record on dvr with manual timers. Everything has been good so far except for the past couple of weeks it doesn't show up in Dish Online guide and shows I've recorded on dvr are not visible on Dish Online. They are still in My Recordings at home though. Been working with Dish Support on this issue.

Otherwise, it's nice getting Windsor station OTA and being able to dvr Hockey Night in Canada.

levibluewa said:
Then you'd think DISH would make the effort to acquire programming info on its own for the Canadian stations within 75 miles of the border.

Why waste the revenue? How would this increase profit? Makes no sense to me for the "few" customers who want OTA from canada.

Then you'd think DISH would make the effort to acquire programming info on its own for the Canadian stations within 75 miles of the border.

no reason to...also the Candian versions of the Dish receivers (same receiver but different software and number) they rip out the OTA option on the back and in the menus so Canadians cant even record OTA with the Bell units

as example here is the back of a Bell 6131 which is pretty much a Dish 211k (minus the antenna port) ;)

belltv-6131-back.jpg

I guess Bell is saying if you want OTA use your antenna, we're not gonna support that on satellite. Maybe not so stupid.....

Its Bell...As of today they are still installing 2 Legacy duals and a SW44 switch in installs

They are switching to a DPP Quad (yes I said DishProPlus QUAD) starting the 23rd along with the DPP44+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)