Can the VIP722 output SD at 480p and HD at 720p/1080i? (re: improving SD quality)

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
We've recently upgraded from a 34" CRT (Sony 34HS420, 720p/1080i CRT) to a 50" Plasma (Panasonic TCP50GT25) and I knew that 480p content would look worse but my wife really isn't too happy...

We watch 90% of our content from Dish Network (VIP722 receiver, set to 1080i output) but she watches a lot of SD programs.

Is it possible to have the VIP722 display SD programs at 480p so I can use an external video processor to upscale the content? (..but I want 720p/1080i programs to display in 720p/1080i as well)

I'm using the HDMI output.

Are there any other options for improving SD quality?

You can adjust the hd quality to 480p for SD, but if you want to watch anything for hd , you will have to readjust the setting to 1080i EACH and every time. I have all Toshiba HD tvs (4)in my house and it does a very good job with SD ,so that it looks fine on my screen. Also helps if you don't Zoom your aspect ratio on Sd channels. I use Stretch only on my SD picture ,but some leave it in Normal mode with black side bars. You will have to make the adjustment and get used to the picture. We watch mostly HD channels ,except for Tv Land channel. I don't record anything on SD channels for movies .

I doubt the difference from an external upscaler would outweigh the hassle of changing settings all the time

A good upscaler can take the 1080 output for SD and still do a good job, so you shouldn't have to send it up at 480, although I know ideally it ought to be the native resolution. However, I agree with the two previous posts about it making much of a difference. I can say that Sony's Bravia engine does wonders on crappy Dish SD. Good heaven, the Bravia actually makes it look quite good. Not so on the old Sharp.

I just leave my 622 set for 1080i all the time... Sure the SD sux, but why hassle with changing the 722 settings every time you go to an SD channel? Are you by chance watching SD in "stretch"? Leave it pillar barred & it doesn't look all that bad... if you stretch it, it's gonna look soooooooooooo much worse than it is...

If anything the better job the upscaler does the WORSE the SD will look as then it will start exposing MPEG2 flaws (e.g. "mosquito noise.")

I find that (at least on my 722k's) they make the SD look a LOT better on my HDTV's at 1080i/720p than using a lower res. I believe the receivers do a couple of things to remove MPEG2 artifacts when you use an HD res.

Also back when I had a DVR 625, SD looked terrible on my HDTV's and using S-video to make it clearer only made it worse.

On another note, how can anyone live with stretching SD? I hate it when everyone's stretched and fat looking it's quite disturbing to me IMO... I'd rather either just live with black bars on the side or zoom in and chop off a little from the top and bottom...

Gonna give you a quick piece of advice, the 722/622 family reciever doesnot have a stand alone coax output for just tv1 but if you split the tv2 (home distribution) out put with coax, and go into the recievers modulator set up screen in the menu (6,1,5) and turn on modulation for tv 1. you can then use the cable tuner, or air tuner, to watch sd in sd, lol.

I really dont know if that helps you to dom what you need but its an option not many know about.

We've recently upgraded from a 34" CRT (Sony 34HS420, 720p/1080i CRT) to a 50" Plasma (Panasonic TCP50GT25) and I knew that 480p content would look worse but my wife really isn't too happy...

We watch 90% of our content from Dish Network (VIP722 receiver, set to 1080i output) but she watches a lot of SD programs.

Is it possible to have the VIP722 display SD programs at 480p so I can use an external video processor to upscale the content? (..but I want 720p/1080i programs to display in 720p/1080i as well)

I'm using the HDMI output.

Are there any other options for improving SD quality?

Are you talking about going to the new 50" Panny? If so it is all ready being upscaled if it is an SD (which is 480i not p) channel. Now if you are wanting to run the Sony as a 2nd TV then (it isn't completely fun) but run component (R, G, & B colored cable)w/ W & R audio to the Sony. Run everything 1080i and w/ the rare exception of PPV 1080p the Sony & the Panny will be just fine.

Gonna give you a quick piece of advice, the 722/622 family reciever doesnot have a stand alone coax output for just tv1 but if you split the tv2 (home distribution) out put with coax, and go into the recievers modulator set up screen in the menu (6,1,5) and turn on modulation for tv 1. you can then use the cable tuner, or air tuner, to watch sd in sd, lol.

I really dont know if that helps you to dom what you need but its an option not many know about.

When you use the 222/722k/922 with Dish Network's MT2 Dual Tuner OTA Module it will give you a Channel 3 or 4 RF output for TV1.;)

DISH Network MT2 Over the Air Module (ES162303) - DISH Network - ES162303 - Components&sku=

** OR ** if you use the 722/722k in Single Mode .. both the TV1 and TV2 outputs are in sync ... and you attach Composite out for TV2 into another input on your TV. Make sure that when you change the Input the TV is on, you set the TV to do black or grey bars on the side, so the TV isn't trying to stretch/modify the incoming aspect ratio.

You could also be in DUAL mode using the composite outputs (composite, not component) and still route the TV2 output into that alternate input to the TV.. but in dual mode, you'll have physically different channels playing on the TV1 out from the receiver, and TV2 out from the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)