Can this sort of thing be done?

Katie5

Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
USA
Based on my searches, I'm guessing not, but thought it would be worth asking to see if one of the DIRT members might be able to clarify this for me.

My husband and I may be temporarily relocated to the east coast for 1-2 years. We'd be maintaining our residence in our current city and be travelling back and forth a lot between there and our new residence. With Dish, is it possible to have an account that would cover both residences? Ideally, we'd maintain active service in both locations with at least one receiver in each house.

Each address would have to have an individual account. Unless you are staying at each home for a period of time and you take the equipment back and fourth. I know dish has a snowbird setup for people with vacation homes, but there are special rules involved.

That's too bad... I don't want to schlep my receiver across the country every time I go back and forth. I guess I'll probably just try to get a cheapo deal with Comcast or whoever is available while I'm out there.

You may want to consider setting up sling from one property and use streaming at secondary location.

Never used sling. would the results be acceptable with that approach?

That's too bad... I don't want to schlep my receiver across the country every time I go back and forth. I guess I'll probably just try to get a cheapo deal with Comcast or whoever is available while I'm out there.

I move my receiver to my cottage all the time, takes just minutes, not really a big deal at all....way better than two bills....

I move my receiver to my cottage all the time, takes just minutes, not really a big deal at all....way better than two bills....

I don't think Sling would be good for me now - we only have DSL with ~800kbps upload. Faster upload with our provider raises the bill quickly. If we were driving all the time, moving the receiver might be ok, but my husband and I will probably travel different schedules and the houses will be 2000 miles apart :) So maybe not all that practical!

Depends on what you are watching on, most computer and laptops have a decent resolution and most can be connected to tv's if more than one watching. You would need broadband at both locations in order for it to work. If only going for short time periods, it should be fine but if for several weeks or months, I would move the receivers.

In the past you could use dishmover to get an antenna installed at the new location. I'd recommend just having them flag the account as a snowbird account and take a receiver back and forth. If you have more than one receiver, go down to one as you have to take all receivers when you relocate. If you need more than one receiver, buy a 211 or 211k from eBay or wherever and activate and deactivate as needed.

Laddyboy said:
In the past you could use dishmover to get an antenna installed at the new location. I'd recommend just having them flag the account as a snowbird account and take a receiver back and forth. If you have more than one receiver, go down to one as you have to take all receivers when you relocate. If you need more than one receiver, buy a 211 or 211k from eBay or wherever and activate and deactivate as needed.

You could technically still do that if you want to bring your receivers back and fourth.

I really don't see what the big deal doing that is, as I think it's more hassle paying 2 bills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)