Can u watch the inauguration at work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Historic event of course, but not worth the time as it will be played over and over at night for the next few days.

My point for this argument is the difference when it is live and you are in a large group. Like a poster said, OJ in 95' and 9/11. You are impacted more when it is happening in that moment.

pfan

Like others, I couldn't possibly care less about watching the inauguration. The media has really made this a circus. He may very well be the best thing since sliced bread but he hasn't done anything yet. Let's save the hype for a time when he has accomplished something.

Mario

My point for this argument is the difference when it is live and you are in a large group. Like a poster said, OJ in 95' and 9/11. You are impacted more when it is happening in that moment.

pfan

You are impacted more...not me. OJ was an overplayed and overstaged event...9/11 was horrific and sad. Neither required live viewing to more/less prevalent in our lives.

This is an event which happens every four years. Record it and watch it together if you would like to enjoy it as a group. There are thousands of events which were televised (but recorded) and we can relive as often as we choose.

What is the next level up to this line of reasoning? The argument that it is more meaningful if you are there. Clearly you will not be there, but you can record it and enjoy as often as you like. It will not be any more or less meaningful than having been there.

very true sethwell. However, it's my third year so I'm still on probation so the principal could fire me for any reason. If I had tenure.......then the story would be different. In education you aren't supposed to make any waves for the first three years. After those three years......then it's like a wave pool! I'll bounce some of this off tenured teachers to see if they want to make a case.

Can you watch at your work?

pfan

well, yes i can, but i work at home. lol, but my father and mother are both in education. my mother is the director of the schools alternative learning school and she is going to let all of her students watch. they have cable in their room. my father is a school based mental health social worker, with an office at a different school district. my mother said that the high school and jr. high campus are holding assemblies so that all students and faculty can watch it on their projection systems. my father said that only the civics classes and history classes at his schools would be getting to watch it.

you shouldn't worry about making waves, the educational system in this country needs some waves. not enough progress in education. I'd say go for it, there are plenty of schools that need qualified teachers around the country and they need teachers that want to promote new ways of thinking. just getting to watch this would be very vital for students. like bob dylan wrote "the times, they are a changing!"

I remember two dates when I was in school that the whole school was glued to the TV all day. One was the trial of the century waiting for the OJ verdict in '95 and the other was 9/11 in '01.

Anyways, I'll be at work listening to it on NPR or watching it on CNN.com

well, i remembered the oj verdict, i was a senior in HS. another day that really stood out for me was back in the third grade, we were all gathered around the tv in our class to watch the challenger launch, i still can see the look on the teachers face as she saw that and turned it off and looked at all of us. and i remember exactly where at work and what i was doing on 9/11. i too think this day will be remembered like that by many.

The people at my office can watch it if they choose to. I don't work in the office and am hoping to be somewhere that I can take a break to watch it. I was a senior in High School for 9/11. Every class I was in that day we just watched the news. It was a good thing in my opinion not only to be able to see it and not just read it, but it also gave me a better memory of it. I feel this is ALMOST as big of deal and should be watched.
Maybe I missed something but what grade do you teach? I wouldn't think there would be a point for any grade under 7th to watch it in my opinion.

You'd have to pay me to watch it! I still can't believe they wasted all this money on this thing at a time like this.

This will not be the first time I skip watching the inauguration. But for a school system, this would be one of those opportunities to let students watch something of significance and use it as an educational moment.

The most powerful nation on earth has another peaceful transference of power.

The rest of the reasons are just fluff compared to this.

My answer would be, "it depends on the area you teach". If you teach social studies, sure.
If you teach math no. It would be helpful to be clinical, neither pro or anti obama. For example if you have a psychology class have them analyze his speech to see what it is aiming for and why. Perhaps have some listen and some see and let the kids see the difference in reaction. Have some listen for specifics and others for tone and see how they agree. In the social sciences the options are many. How is he using your subject. How does he use history(good and bad). In economics go through his plan for a stimulus package and see if it adds up(not even close, be he isn't unique in this lie).

It is VERY IMPORTANT not to be emotional. A teachers jobs is to teach, not to create a bias in any direction. In the end this is just another president and most likely he will be an average president, like bush. Neither great as Reagan or Lincoln or horrible like Carter and Nixon when he can't fix things. Facts are that the world is little different with him as president than it was with Bush.

In the end THAT IS WHAT MATTERS, America the most powerful nation the world has ever seen had another peaceful transition and remains a largely center country(slightly right of center) with a middle of the road policy. This is an important idea that is often lost, that our middle of the road ideas have really made us successful. This is a great government lesson that is embodied by the electoral college(basically this and the need for congressional candidates to win a district prevents fringe candidates from winning).

Sorry for being so long, basically if it can be related to your subject yes, if not no.

Patrick

Last edited:
When I was in school..enter old person joke here...lol, but really I am in my thirty's and I remember big events televised, space shuttle launches and all. The inaguration is a big deal regardless of who is being inagurated!

were fourunate to have a TV in our lunch area, so when I take my lunch I will catch a bit

Here is "old age." When I was in the 8th grade (1953) we listened to the McCarthy Senate hearings on communists in government on the radio. I'm not an Obama fan and I fear his presidency, I believe that the schools should be allowing students to view the inauguration.

We're being encouraged to watch at work. There is a watch party in the atrium of our building.

Could have something to do with me working for the City, and our mayor being an active Obama supporter. ;) Schools, though, should watch the inauguration. Civics in action. Maybe they will remember the right answer for the inauguration date on their standardized tests if they are allowed to watch it.

I care more about his actions that all the pomp. I'll stay at my desk, catch the speech highlights later.

You'd have to pay me to watch it! I still can't believe they wasted all this money on this thing at a time like this.

Well, to be fair, they did the same thing eight years ago, and just a few days ago GW said "I came in during a recession, and I am leaving during a recession...", so...

So my work said no. The funny thing.....I work in a school. Apparently the principal doesn't feel this historic moment doesn't need to be observed. I was curious as to how members of this forum will watch it since they are likely to be at work. What say you?

PS of course I'm recording it on my 622 (OTA, cnn, cspan) and my 612 (OTA other network, msnbc, ?)

pfan

I didn't bother to ask if they are letting people watch at work. I am taking the day off to enjoy and revel in the historic event! :up

And there is a BIG HOOPLA concert tonight to celebrate.
I'd only like to be there to see if David Copperfield can actually produce an Obama Resume!!!!!!

And there is a BIG HOOPLA concert tonight to celebrate.
I'd only like to be there to see if David Copperfield can actually produce an Obama Resume!!!!!!

Wow, using the same line you tried yesterday with the same lame result. Might I suggest not quiting your day job as the greeter at your local Wal Mart since you are never going to make it as a comedian! :rolleyes:

Like others, I couldn't possibly care less about watching the inauguration. The media has really made this a circus. He may very well be the best thing since sliced bread but he hasn't done anything yet. Let's save the hype for a time when he has accomplished something.

Mario

+1 :up

I havent heard a single person around here and work talk about. Its like no one cares. I did hear a few saying they were stocking up on guns and ammo on their day off for MLK.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts