HELP! Can I "move" from Auburn to Birmingham

aubowen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
I am at my witts end. I am sick of paying $20 a month for crappy local channels. I was scared to do the "move" but ready to do it. I could use my mother in laws address.
I have a 119, 110, and 61.5, would that work for Birmingham?
Is Birmingham HD?
SO, all I would need to do, is a live chat and change my service address, tell them I have already moved the dish myself and it working fine. Then at the end ask about local channels in my new address?

Can you pick up Columbus, GA locals with an OTA antenna? I live in Phenix City and they all come in fine for me. All Columbus stations are broadcasting in HD.

Thanks so much, I may give that a try if this doesn't work.

Anybody have an answer to my first question?
Checking the signal strength, I have a green box under each satellite (119, 110, and 61.5)

Okay. Went ahead and did it and it works!! The hd channels for Birmingham have the following message come up...

Sorry for the interruption.
THere is no need to call us.
We are working to have this channel back as soon as possible.

You may still watch non-local
programming by pressing your remote control
and selecting another channel.
-- - - - - - -- - - --- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - -
So, I don't know if this is a problem that is temporary for like all of Birmingham, or if it is because I am having an issue because I am not really in Birmingham (spot beam or something.)

Regradless having it digital and having DVR capabilites and saving money and on and on I am thrilled! HD working at some point would be icing on the cake.

Okay. Went ahead and did it and it works!! The hd channels for Birmingham have the following message come up...

Sorry for the interruption.
THere is no need to call us.
We are working to have this channel back as soon as possible.

You may still watch non-local
programming by pressing your remote control
and selecting another channel.
-- - - - - - -- - - --- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - -- - - -
So, I don't know if this is a problem that is temporary for like all of Birmingham, or if it is because I am having an issue because I am not really in Birmingham (spot beam or something.)

Regradless having it digital and having DVR capabilites and saving money and on and on I am thrilled! HD working at some point would be icing on the cake.

Sounds like a spot beam issue to me.. Auburn may not fall under the spot.

Sounds like a spot beam issue to me.. Auburn may not fall under the spot.

I don't think it goes that far south on 119.

Is the spot coverage the same as 119 on the 61.5 spot??

Edit.

This map shows it is in the spot on 119. I did not realize that it was that big.

http://www.dishuser.org/pictures/echo7.gif

I had the same message and needed a dish repeak several months ago.

Last edited:
We just use our cell phones as we don't really feel we need a land line. Saves us money even with paying the fee to Dish. It took me a very long while to do this as I was scared. But, am really glad I did as it is not fair for people like me that are so limited.

The HD is working just fine now! All channels are crystal clear, not sure what the problem was at first, all of the signal strenghts are pretty good.

Congrats!

Now your only problem is that you are going to get alot of Alabama Sports!!!!:D Wait, that is a good thing:p

We just use our cell phones as we don't really feel we need a land line. Saves us money even with paying the fee to Dish. It took me a very long while to do this as I was scared. But, am really glad I did as it is not fair for people like me that are so limited.

The HD is working just fine now! All channels are crystal clear, not sure what the problem was at first, all of the signal strenghts are pretty good.

Congrats! Glad it wasn't a spotbeam problem after going to the effort of "moving." Perhaps it just took a little time for the program change to go through the system.

Of course, it has been working fine all day, but is going out now. I mean its only the prime time programming part that I would trade for the rest of the day. Urghh. Must be something about night time for some reason.

Of course, it has been working fine all day, but is going out now. I mean its only the prime time programming part that I would trade for the rest of the day. Urghh. Must be something about night time for some reason.

The change in temp can sometimes affect the lnb when the lnb is a bit on the bad side to start with causing signal loss. IT may be that you're on the edge of acceptable signal strength to begin with. Check the signal strength for the transponder I indicated above earlier for the current signal strength.

On 61.5 I am getting 34. But as the satelite is trying to get the channel (step 1 of 5) it doesn't try 61.5, is there any way I can make it use that one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)