Can we use my FTA receiver as a DTV Tuner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

newftauser010

Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
us
Ok. So here's the deal. I have a sonicView High Definition FTA Receiver. Not in use. I got my TV About 7 years ago , around the time when HD was becoming available on cable. It's a HDTV, but it's not capable of receiving Digital channels over regular antenna (for e.g like rabbit HD antenna). The TV states to receive digital HD channels through antenna, you've to get a converter and plug the converter output to component video. However most digital converters only seem to output non HD (composite) video which won't get us the HD channels.

So my question is the sonivie HD Receiver although made for dish type antennas has a built in digital and hd tuner and outputs both in hdmi and component. Can we use this receiver and connect a Rabbit ear antenna to get local channels in HD?

Thanks

If you mean for digital broadcast TV, only if it has an ATSC tuner. Otherwise, it is still technically a digital television receiver, but with satellite only being its signal source.

yes you can

I have used my Coolsat 8000 as a OTA tuner only. It will work fine without a satellite connection. The only drawback is there is no guide on the OTA channels

Welcome to SatelliteGuys

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

I have the SV-HD8000 and although I don't use the DTV Tuner - - - I have tested it and it does work. I found that certain versions of the firmware do not allow the tuner to scan in the channels. If you hook it up to a TV antenna and it does not locate any channels you may want to update to the latest firmware - - - which can be found here.

Sonicview USA - Support

If you have a clear path to the south and can locate a 36" dish with a linear LNB this receiver works great and many channels and radio to be found. 125W has PBS in HD and I find many feeds in HD. Best of success!!

Thanks for the info. Need a bit more details

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

I have the SV-HD8000 and although I don't use the DTV Tuner - - - I have tested it and it does work. I found that certain versions of the firmware do not allow the tuner to scan in the channels. If you hook it up to a TV antenna and it does not locate any channels you may want to update to the latest firmware - - - which can be found here.

Sonicview USA - Support

If you have a clear path to the south and can locate a 36" dish with a linear LNB this receiver works great and many channels and radio to be found. 125W has PBS in HD and I find many feeds in HD. Best of success!!

Thanks much for the info. I've a SV-HD8000 too! Can you let me know what specific setting I should use on the menu (satellite) L&B etc,. if the antenna is a OTA HD antenna only?

you wouldnt need t set any of the satellite settings if you are going to be OTA only

MOst receivers have a sat setup and OTA setup. Just go through the OTA setup

This may help

I found this in the FAQ on the SonicView site.

Also, I maybe got the idea you want to set it with the a 36" dish and linear LNB, what kind of programing are you most interested in?

What are DTV channels and how do I receive them?
DTV channels (also called OTA or over-the-air) are your local channels. They require an oldfashioned terrestrial antenna. A rooftop antenna is best, but there are some newer antennas designed to be placed in your attic which should pull in a good signal if you are not too far from your local broadcasting city. To receive your terrestrial (local) TV channels, you must connect your terrestrial antena to the ATSC RF IN on the back of the receiver. Go to your menu then select DTV SCAN. Your local channels will scan in. To watch these channels, press the SAT button on the lower right of the remote, then select DTV. The advantage of using the 8000HD with your local antenna is that you will get an EPG guide for your local programming, and you have the ability to record local programming using the receiver’s PVR functions.

Thanks much. I'm in an apt. So have to see if I can get something that would not violate their antenna mounting policies. Dish type antennas are ok, as long as they're not too big. Plus I've a small balcony. Thanks again for the help.

I use my SV8000HD to receive OTA digital channels and it works very well. There is EPG info on almost all of the channels as well. The local (San Diego) NBC affiliate does not provide EPG info for its main channel but it does provide EPG info for its subchannels, one of which is Universal Sports.

I use my SV8000HD to receive OTA digital channels and it works very well. There is EPG info on almost all of the channels as well. The local (San Diego) NBC affiliate does not provide EPG info for its main channel but it does provide EPG info for its subchannels, one of which is Universal Sports.

Yesterday I updated my SV8000HD to it's new firmware and I just hooked up my indoor/outdoor PHILIPS HD antenna (It's not one of those ourdoor big terrestrial one). I mounted it outside on my balcony (3rd floor). It's a small one, but I used it at my friends house (directly connected to the tv) and it picked up about 40 channels (hd/sd). But when I connected this to my SV8000HD on the ATSC and did a DTV scan, it hardly picked up about 10-12 channels. Is that because you really have to use one of those HD terrestrial outdoor (big) antennas? And receivers like sonicview doesn't like these tiny indoor/outdoor ones?

If I use one of those large antennas (HD) (e.g below) will I get more channels? Or am I not supposed to use rabbit ear style or small indoor/outdoor antenna on this receiver? Does it reuqire a 75-300 ohm converter?

http://www.antennasdirect.com/DB4_HDTV_antenna.html

http://www.antennasdirect.com/C4-Clearstream-DTV-antenna.html

On the other hand, what would be a best antenna to use, especially if you're in downtown and surrounded by buildings and mostly get only reflected signals. Should we use one of those unidirectional ones or multidirectional long range ones? And this question is pertinent to connecting to antenna to satellite receivers like svhd800.

Thanks

Suggest you go to TVFool.com or antennaweb.org (or both) - enter your address and they'll give you a list of channels you should be able to get and also a recommendation for what antenna you need.

I just found out the SV HD8000 won't let me change the scan OTA increment and I notice in an old post someone emailed some updated software to a friend here. I checked today at the SV site and they still are not up to 4.43 firmware version number mentioned elsewhere. Would someone tell me where the 4.43 firmware is at so I can try that. I still don't know if that will work but I want to try anything I can. Or maybe you have some idea for a workaround.

Here are the earlier related posts;
Dawgneck
04-29-2010, 08:55 PM

Hey, FriscoJohn,

Anyway you can send me a copy of 4.43?

Also, has anyone found a way to get the 8000hd to see all the OTA channels? I still can't get channel ABC-7 in the Los Angeles area no matter what I do.

Thanks in advance.

FriscoJohn
04-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Dawgneck,

Emailed you the URL where I got it. I checked and the URL still works but you have to register on the site first. I am still not getting any UHF OTA above 551 Mhz; it doesn't pick them up on the scan, although I pick them up strongly on my TV. It almost has to be a software problem. Someone posted earlier that you could input an OTA frequency manually on the Sonicview but I haven't figured out how to do that. Anyone that knows the secret please chime in.

Cheers.

Dawgneck
04-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Got the copy of 4.43. Thanks, FriscoJohn!

Anyone in the Los Angeles area resolve the missing ABC-7 channel issue?

BTW, I followed the steps posted above but nothing tuned in ABC-7.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)