Can we use polycarbonate plate instead of teflon ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
actually, while I know it's often called teflon, is it really teflon that is commonly used?
All the dielectric plate that I've used for circular C-band looked very much like printed circuit board stuff (fiberglass-reinforced epoxy resin), just a lot thicker than a PCB. And recently I had to file the edges of a plate I got with my Titanium LNBF to fit it in an old Polarotor, and filing it produced the exact same smell as you get when drilling/cutting a PCB board.
Also, I think I have seen a Dish Network LNBF that used a transparent dielectric plate - so maybe it was polycarbonate.

We've made plates out of a few different materials with good results, sometimes upto 1dB stronger than the usual supplied slab. Both CD cases and a nylon chopping board can make very effective plates.

diplate1.jpg
diplate2.jpg
diplate3.jpg

Reactions: k.r. and john_robot
Hi, Do you have the measurement details of the metal plates that you have on the plastic plate ?

Hi, Do you have the measurement details of the metal plates that you have on the plastic plate ?

John, let me ask the guy that made the one I'm using, it may take a few days to get a reply from him but I'll let you know what he says.

John, let me ask the guy that made the one I'm using, it may take a few days to get a reply from him but I'll let you know what he says.
cool, i'm interested too. Is that a copper-clad printed circuit board that was etched with that specific pattern? Or is it adhesive copper on a polycarbonate board from a CD case?

I've heard back from him and have the diagram. He's currently experimenting with the design and adding some extra lengths of copper wire to each copper plate, hopefully he's going to send me a photo to show what's he done but he says he's improved some transponders by over half a dB so I'll update as and when I get something.

The plate itself is made from a CD case, no idea what type of plastic that is but he just dremmels out the size required to snug fit in the LNB and you'll see it's made slightly longer than required. I don't know where he sourced the copper from but it comes on a sheet and is self adhesive.

I've placed a couple of strips of PVC tape down each side of mine just to give it a cushion as it's slid into the LNB and the position within the throat is quite sensitive so trial and error to find the best location. Mine is with the upper most copper strips about 10MM from the front of the throat.

plate.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts