can wife understand how to use the Hopper

rwalsh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
I am getting 2 Hoppers and one Joey. My wife is really a novice and has a hard time with electronics. Should I give her the one Joey for her TV or connect the Hopper to her TV. This is important as my wife really has a hard time sometimes. Thanks in advance.

Operation will be similar either way. No PiP on the Joey. If she had the Joey she could pick which Hopper to link to, and change at any time. Or you could set it up and she never fool with it. Remotes and behavior are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

With 2 Hoppers, I'd give her TV one of the Hoppers and let her use that one exclusively, ignoring the other Hopper altogether. This way, she will have her own sandbox and won't have to journey out of her comfort zone if she is using a Joey and it happens to be linked to the wrong hopper for her shows.

No PiP on the Joey. If she had the Joey she could pick which Hopper to link to...
Given the OP's description of her with electronics, I'd venture to say she'd never use PIP and having to pick between Hoppers may not be something she'd want to fuss with.

No offense to his wife, of course -- some people just want things simple and to "just work" ;)

FWIW, my wife is technically challenged...a remote wreck. But she was able to get the Hang of her Joey in no time.

My 70 year old technically challenged wife figured out how to use her Hopper with a minimum amount of coaching from me. It never even once turned into a "YOU STUPID ......." from either of us. I'd give her the Hopper.

My techno-phobe wife had no problem switching from a 722 to the Hopper. She figured out how to switch from one HWS to the other to watch shows on the 2nd HWS, She was never able to figure out my BUD. She even figured out how to switch hdmi inputs on our AVR to either the dvdr or the blu-ray player.

My techno-phobe wife had no problem switching from a 722 to the Hopper. She figured out how to switch from one HWS to the other to watch shows on the 2nd HWS, She was never able to figure out my BUD. She even figured out how to switch hdmi inputs on our AVR to either the dvdr or the blu-ray player.

That is not a techno-phobe by the standards of my house. Count your blessings that she can do that much. My wife can watch a recorded show (and usually remember to erase it) and set a timer for an event sometimes, but she has a hard time with a guide, bit she even has a hard time with that. Enjoy what you have and
what you don't have to deal with

My wife is also a techno-phobe. She transitioned from the 722K to the Hopper with no problem. She even learned to pause a show.
Now only a year and half later she is learning to record a show that is on. Now if I can only teach her what the guide is and how to use it, and how to find a show she has recorded so she can watch it, life will be great.
Bottom line is she is happy and comfortable with the Hopper as she was with the 722K. She is slowly learning to use a bit of the functionality although she still thinks I am the remote for anything fancy like finding and watching a recorded show.

Thanks bwexler. After having the Hopper installed today, I am in the shape you are. She still won't read a Direction.

My wife may have picked up new technique today. She wanted to record a show she had been watching, for me to watch. I showed her how to rewind faster by pushing the back button several times. Next the record button, and now the fast forward several times. got it up to 300X and she commented how fast it was and did she need to push the "H" button. She had her finger on the pause button so I pointed out there was no H that is the pause button. A couple more years and she may be using all the features on our original Hopper, Unless of course we are on the Hopper 3000 with SlinShot and Hulu.

If you are on a Hopper and have had the show running from the beginning, aill you have to do is press the Record button. It will automajically read the buffer and record from the start.

The "H" button ? Damn.... :D My 3-year old knows what the pause button is (and how to operate it !!).
I remember a funniest home video where a 3 year old was learning her numbers on flash cards: "9" - "nine", "10" - "ten", "11" - "pause"

I started this Thread and all I can say, after 4 days I completely give up. I will have to operate Both Hoppers.

Don't give up. Time will tell if your wife can at least operate the basic functions. It took my wife time to do that, she still gets frustrated at times, especially when she tries to go to an ota channel only to have the activity screen pop up because there is an on going recording on the ota tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)