Hopper/Joey Install Clarifciations

WiCkeDuDe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Utah
My parents decided it was time to upgraded the 722/625 setup to a Hopper/Joey system. I have been searching many threads but I would like to get some clarifications on a few things before I start upgrading.

Going with a solo node and one hopper and joey for now. There is a TV in the garage that is rarely used but I wanted to mirror the Joey output to this TV from its location in a interior house bedroom. The mirror location is maybe 60 feet away from the Joey box. Is this too far to get reasonable performance from a second Joey remote used on the mirror TV location? I know the Joey does not have an external antenna.

I am going to mirror the Joey using a RF modulator. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to some models that have worked well and are inexpensive? Right now I just have the one coax but I can run another. Im wondering if I need one that will do higher frequencies than CHAN 3/4 if im going to combine it into just one cable. If its a big deal I can run a dedicated coax just the mirror signal. Ive heard different reports how well this works.

Want to hear others experiences....
Thanks!

It wont work even if I stay downstream of the solo node and just use a splitter? Diplexing will not work at all with the Hopper system correct?

You should be able to combine a modulated RF on the same line, MoCA frequencies only overlaps the upper TV channels.

If the location is "rarely used" you might consider running a coax wire there from your node and switching out the bedroom wire with the garage wire on your node when you wanted to move the Joey and just carry the Joey to the garage when you want to use it there. Then you wouldn't have to worry about how far the remote reaches. Or if you have internet in the garage, just carry the Joey out there and plug into ethernet and use it there that way.

Yeah I am nervous the Joey remotes won't work. Wondering now if I might just mirror the hopper instead...

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My parents decided it was time to upgraded the 722/625 setup to a Hopper/Joey system. I have been searching many threads but I would like to get some clarifications on a few things before I start upgrading.

Going with a solo node and one hopper and joey for now. There is a TV in the garage that is rarely used but I wanted to mirror the Joey output to this TV from its location in a interior house bedroom. The mirror location is maybe 60 feet away from the Joey box. Is this too far to get reasonable performance from a second Joey remote used on the mirror TV location? I know the Joey does not have an external antenna.

I am going to mirror the Joey using a RF modulator. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to some models that have worked well and are inexpensive? Right now I just have the one coax but I can run another. Im wondering if I need one that will do higher frequencies than CHAN 3/4 if im going to combine it into just one cable. If its a big deal I can run a dedicated coax just the mirror signal. Ive heard different reports how well this works.

Want to hear others experiences....
Thanks!

You don't want to use a cheap RF Modulator because the picture will be too snowy. What you need to use is a Micro-Modulator like this one, http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/catalog.php?product_id=HMM-10H-Multimedia-Modulator. You want to have it set for a higher channel number and it will give you better picture quality. It does work though and you can use Taps or high frequency splitters to combine the cables.

Got my Joey and solo node today. Waiting for the hopper to start trying the mirroring.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts