Can you backfeed the UHF remote antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If what I think you are talking about is extending the UHF Remote Access Antenna Feed off the back of a receiver? They have instructions with each receiver in the Tech Portal area under the "How to" pull down in the left column. I can't use their method because I transmit all my receivers plus DVD/Blu-Ray/VHS, Media Room and security cameras over an in-house modulator network with 8 other channels, total of 12 channels, and you can not mix OTA (in essence) with the UHF Ant Feed. So I am using the preexisting RG59 cabling to run several antennas from one end of the house to the other, since I have it so you can get any box on any TV, but you need a UHF remote, the beauty of DISH since day one, that matches the box you want to watch from. Sounds like a mess, but it has worked great since 1994. Even with three receivers Remote UHF Ant ins mixed to a single line (4-way splitter) to a main feed to all the antennas with splitters at each antenna to extend the run where needed. It has created a bit of a "reception halo" where I can change channels from the back yard. Gotta watch those remote addresses if you have neighbors that have DISH. I'm too far from my neighbors to worry.

The copy below is from the Tech Portal as is the picture (722) of methods 1 and 4 of four install methods. This sounds like what you need?

Extending the UHF / UHF Pro range allows remotes to work reliably in difficult installations. The solutions use additional approved parts to “back-feed” the remote control antenna onto the same cable as the Home Distribution (CH 21 - 69 or 73 -125) Out or CH 3-4 Out for the TV2 location. This allows the remote control antenna to be placed in the room with the TV, extending the range of the UHF or UHF Pro remote control.

Note: If an over-the-air antenna is installed, the remote control signal cannot be combined onto the same cable as the over-the-air signal.

So you mean like this?

picture.php

or

picture.php

Something I have done to have an antenna at the receiver also, instead of a 2-way, use a 3-way splitter and put an antenna in the third tap or a line to a location where you need one.
That helps with a UHF remote at TV1.

If this is not what you are talking about . . . never mind. My apologies.

Last edited:
sandfarmer
pic 1 would be what would work too but all said and done all it took was a 5 foot piece of coax ;)

The receiver is in an entertainment center so I ran a 5 foot piece of cable from the receiver to the top of the ctr. barrel connector it and hooked up antenna. Tried it in garage and it works.

I was pretty stoked to have it working :)

sandfarmer
pic 1 would be what would work too but all said and done all it took was a 5 foot piece of coax ;)

The receiver is in an entertainment center so I ran a 5 foot piece of cable from the receiver to the top of the ctr. barrel connector it and hooked up antenna. Tried it in garage and it works.

I was pretty stoked to have it working :)
I didn't know if you had resolved this. I love when it is simple. I'm past those days and since DISH won't work on my roof anymore it's all me now. They always freaked, in a good way, and lessons got learned when they saw my system. I originally had my UHF Remote antennas hooked up to my hot water heating pipes for just over 14 years and then slowly it just wouldn't work that way anymore. That's when I decided to run new RG11 as main trunks with RG6 branches and then use the existing RG59 as its own UHF Remote antenna system. Works great. Now I just need to reinstall my dishes on the chimney since the way DISH did it was not meant to last.

Congrats and I'm glad you are stoked. I know exactly what you mean. I will be once again here real soon.

yeah I was happy it worked at the cabin. We usually took a 301 to the cabin then back to the house but that receiver has issues. So he got the 322 for his bedroom and the garage at his house and the living room and garage at the cabin.

Swapped out LNB from DP to DPPTwin and had to swap out some cabling in the house (good lord there was some crappy RG59 in the setup). Was worried that the UHF antenna wasnt going to work because in the past we tried a remote control extender and it didnt work so if we wanted to switch channels someone had to go into the house.

So the fact it worked made me happy (that and the fact my dad kept bugging me if it was working yet) ;)

Something else you can try (I know it's working now) is simply change the tv2 remote code to 15 or 16. Press and hold the SAT button until lights are solid, press 1-5-#. At tv1 remote, press menu-6-1-3. Then press RECORD on tv2 remote to register new setting. The higher codes seem to have better range.

I remember discussion of codes in an even higher range (secret codes) in the 20's perhaps? What is the highest code you can enter in?

standard remote code range is 1 thru 16, there is a second range between 17 thru 32. If you have a 722k style remote you can just choose a # from the second range like normal. All other remotes have an extra step to get into the second range.

Wow - I am amazed that there is a FAQ that Iceberg asked, instead of answered. :D

There have got to be several dozen threads on this topic in the search (of course, you would need to be able to figure out the right search words).

However, we all owe you about 100 answers, so everyone is still in your debt.

PS I have used the splitter/combiner method myself, and may do so this summer when visiting my relatives to tweak their install...

standard remote code range is 1 thru 16, there is a second range between 17 thru 32. If you have a 722k style remote you can just choose a # from the second range like normal. All other remotes have an extra step to get into the second range.
. . . and that/those extra steps are? And works with which remotes? I trust the 722k remote that you are speaking of is the 21.0? Just tried #21-28 (28 the highest the remote would accept) with my 21.0 on a 722 (not k). It works great. Matter of fact, I have noticed that since L627 my 722 was not responding to RF, IR OK - 21.0/6.4/HOne, as it did. But now that I have upped the address number it is working better than it did before. WOW! what a difference in response.

THANKS!!!!!!

Wow - I am amazed that there is a FAQ that Iceberg asked, instead of answered. :D
:p

There have got to be several dozen threads on this topic in the search (of course, you would need to be able to figure out the right search words).

exactly

And I dont have any combiners/diplexers in my setup. The only splitter I have is for my OTA antenna ;)

So I just wanted to make sure that it was done right. Not having Dish (and when I did it was Legacy or DishPro) I wanted to make sure how this all "DishProPlus" stuff worked ;)

Last edited:
I would also like to know what the extra steps to get an adduress between 17 and 32 are (and which remotes they work on). I remember it being posted on here a good while back but never did do it.

using normal method, press & hold sat ....blink, blink, then press #, then press the up arrow, then choose a number between 1 and 16 (this number when added to 16 will give you the higher address) then press # to finish. Should work on all ir and uhf remote you typically get with 3xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx. not fully sure about older style (only one power button).

using normal method, press & hold sat ....blink, blink, then press #, then press the up arrow, then choose a number between 1 and 16 (this number when added to 16 will give you the higher address) then press # to finish. Should work on all ir and uhf remote you typically get with 3xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx. not fully sure about older style (only one power button).
Great! Thank you! When I set my 21.0 to a higher address it worked so much better. But I had to revert to #1 so that my HOne would also work, which is the one I use the most. But this should really help with the remotes on my 625. We're having issues with the 6.3, but the new 6.4 is great right out of the box. Far better than any previous remote I have ever had.

Dumb question.

I know how backfeeding works to other TV's but can you backfeed/diplex the UHF antenna?

Here's what I'm thinking...

Dish is on the roof of the house and goes to the receiver.
TV1 goes to TV in main room
TV2 is going to go to TV in garage....about 75 feet away

for some reason if the UHF antenna doesnt work as is (or even if I raise it say 2 feet) can I diplex the UHF antenna and place it near the dish? The dish is between the garage and the house and would be about 20 feet away from the garage?

I guess I should also ask can you diplex a DPPTwin?

yes you can backfeed the little remote antenna. do it all the time. i get the best use by having the remote antenna right near the tv that I'm using that remote for.

then just diplex it in and then diplex it out at the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)