Can you backfeed the UHF remote antenna?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Dumb question.

I know how backfeeding works to other TV's but can you backfeed/diplex the UHF antenna?

Here's what I'm thinking...

Dish is on the roof of the house and goes to the receiver.
TV1 goes to TV in main room
TV2 is going to go to TV in garage....about 75 feet away

for some reason if the UHF antenna doesnt work as is (or even if I raise it say 2 feet) can I diplex the UHF antenna and place it near the dish? The dish is between the garage and the house and would be about 20 feet away from the garage?

I guess I should also ask can you diplex a DPPTwin?

Dumb question.

I know how backfeeding works to other TV's but can you backfeed/diplex the UHF antenna?

Here's what I'm thinking...

Dish is on the roof of the house and goes to the receiver.
TV1 goes to TV in main room
TV2 is going to go to TV in garage....about 75 feet away

for some reason if the UHF antenna doesnt work as is (or even if I raise it say 2 feet) can I diplex the UHF antenna and place it near the dish? The dish is between the garage and the house and would be about 20 feet away from the garage?

I guess I should also ask can you diplex a DPPTwin?

you know ... i dont see why not ...... but you are going to drop a lot of signal thru the wire run & diplexers....

have you tried a bowtie ant or round uhf... or sometimes just laying the ant flat attached to the recvr

no not a UHF antenna to get TV reception

The little antenna on the back of the dual tuner receivers for TV2 is a UHF antenna...the remote antenna

Iceberg, an RF signal is an RF signal so the answer is yes but whether the gain you pickup by moving the antenna closer to the garage is enough to overcome the additional loss you will add with the extra cable is the question, it may not help without putting an RF amp in the line.

sorry ice jsut looked at it once more

use a 2 way splitter feed TV2 and UHF ant to splitter outs and the in to diplxer . in the room with tv 2 use another spliter one line to tv and put ant on the other.

Iceberg, an RF signal is an RF signal so the answer is yes but whether the gain you pickup by moving the antenna closer to the garage is enough to overcome the additional loss you will add with the extra cable is the question, it may not help without putting an RF amp in the line.

ok. good to know. Will try it out :)

sorry ice jsut looked at it once more

use a 2 way splitter feed TV2 and UHF ant to splitter outs and the in to diplxer . in the room with tv 2 use another spliter one line to tv and put ant on the other.

that is an option too. Seems kinda excessive with all the switches/splitters but we'll try it

Whats the worst thing that can happen? it dont work? :)

as for existing OTA in the market....there is none (well very little)
analog low powered Fox affiliate 20 miles away
PBS digital 30 miles away
CBS digital 45 miles away

my tvfool report shows 3 yellow and the rest grey ;)

backfeed uhf, yes it can be done just need lots of rg6.

i use a 1 in 8 out splitter in reverse so on my 1 out i stripped rg6 insulation and have bare copper which i formed into huge circle hanging in garage, kinda like really big coat hanger.

this way uhf can be utilized from anywhere in my house.

backfeed uhf, yes it can be done just need lots of rg6.
there is already 3Ghz RG6 run from the dish to the receiver already

i use a 1 in 8 out splitter in reverse so on my 1 out i stripped rg6 insulation and have bare copper which i formed into huge circle hanging in garage, kinda like really big coat hanger.

this way uhf can be utilized from anywhere in my house.
that must be something new you did ;)

I do know that using cable to move the antenna to a new location works well. I attach some cable to the remote antenna connector on the back of the receiver and locate the antenna to a more strategic spot. I have plaster walls/ceiling with wire mesh backing, a great method to block radio waves. Relocating the antenna helps a lot. Plus on one I use a cable amplifier too.

Yep, splitter feeding a line from the antenna output and the TV2 output into the splitter then out the single port into the diplexor... then another splitter behind TV2 with the TV2 line going into the single sided port of the diplexor and then one end put the antenna on it and the other into the TV. BOOM all set!

Yep, splitter feeding a line from the antenna output and the TV2 output into the splitter then out the single port into the diplexor... then another splitter behind TV2 with the TV2 line going into the single sided port of the diplexor and then one end put the antenna on it and the other into the TV. BOOM all set!

whoa hold on......now I'm confused

what I was thinking was putting a diplexer by the dish and put the antenna up there (some 25 feet off the ground)

so it would be like this

Dish LNB--3 feet of cable--sat side of diplexer----------------------------------------sat side diplexer---separator
UHF antenna---Ant side of diplexer------------------------------------ant side diplexer--- uhf antenna spot

coax for TV 2 is a straight shot to the TV outside

it will work ice if you have quality runs and splitters. i use it all the time on tv2 installs that are far apart.

its all good cable runs. I did the install myself. Had a few spots where I swapped some bad connectors for good compression connectors :)

Iceberg yes you can, We did this all the time when I was an installer for echostar. This was nice as it would often extend the ranges whenever the receiver was out of range.
yeah we use to have a single tuner receiver and tried those cheapy remote control extenders and they wouldnt work all the time...very sporadically they would.

Well install day of receiver permanently is tomorrow :)

what I was thinking was putting a diplexer by the dish and put the antenna up there (some 25 feet off the ground)

so it would be like this

Dish LNB--3 feet of cable--sat side of diplexer----------------------------------------sat side diplexer---separator
UHF antenna---Ant side of diplexer------------------------------------ant side diplexer--- uhf antenna spot

How we did it was Antenna output to diplexer, satellite in to diplexer, one cable to switch, diplexer to satellite out, to switch, diplexer to antenna out to antenna in on 3rd diplexer, switch to satellite in on 3rd diplexer, rg6 to nearby room close to 2nd tv output. diplexer sat out to sat receiver, diplexer uhf out to cable line, bring it as close as you could to that room in question (keeping it ascetically pleasing as much as you can), barrel and then the antenna.

so it would be like this

you need a pair of splitters......one at the receiver and one at your tv 2 location......

the splitter near the receiver is used like a combiner so a line from the antenna port and a line from the tv2 output hook into the outputs of the splitter and the input port of the splitter goes to the uhf side of the diplexer

on the other end you put the remote antenna on one side of the splitter and then a jumper to the tv.......

theres a dish network chart on how to do it but i couldn't find it on the web (not quickly enough anyways)

Here I made a drawing of it

pigtail.jpg

As stated in last two posts of this thread, this is how I do mine. This works well. If there is no diplexer in the line already then you do not need to add one.

You are simply adding a splitter to the line at the receiver end injecting signal from the UHF antenna port in addition to the TV2 out on the other side of the splitter. On the tv end you split it back out with one going to a UHF antenna while the other goes into the television. It is as simple as that.

I have also ran a seperate coax wire off of the UHF antenna port to a more centralized location to help with range which helps if you have TV1 and/or TV2 split off to different televisions in the house.