Can you DE-DVR a directv HD-DVR (HR20) (aka, turn off the DVR functions)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

granadaCoder

Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
This sounds like a weird question.

I have a HR20. Slightly off topic is that since the new UI came out, it runs like a dog.

Back on topic. Back when there talk of the "hdpc-20", I built a Media Center PC. (Windows 7 x64).
Of course, the hdpc-20 was eventually dumped. :<
So I've had my Media Center PC hooked up to antenna (OTA). Which is nice, but it's not ideal.

Fast Forward to Now:
I've been reading up on the Hauppauge Colossus PCI Express Internal HD-PVR.

I realize I could lose a little "HD'ness" (down to 720p).
And I'd be giving up the 2 tuners of the HR20 for the single tuner.
But if I could get Media Center working with a single tuner directv hd receiver, I would be very happy. Streaming to other rooms from a central media center pc is my main goal.

My question is not about the Hauppauge Colossus setup. I've been reading about it.

My question...has anyone tried taking the harddrive out of the HR20 (or HR21, or HR2x or HR3x) to make it a TUNER box ONLY.

The reason?
1. I already have a HR20. So I wouldn't have to get a H20 (or similar).
2. I've already got 2 hard drives cranking in the Media Center PC. (One small one for the O/S. One big one for the tv files.)
So I'm trying to tone down the energy usage of the HR20.

I guess I could just "try it" (but disconnecting the harddrive), but figured I'd ask.

The Hauppauge Colossus is going to cost around $140. So I'd like to get the setup to work ( HR20, Hauppauge Colossus, Windows Media Center (WMC) ) first.
Optimally, I could get that setup working, without the HR20 harddrive cranking and using electricity I don't need.
(I realize that if I don't schedule any recordings on it, it will work alot less, but I still think the harddrive will crank with just live tv).

Thanks for any input. Push comes to shove, I can get a H20 (hd-receiver-only---non-dvr) I guess.

Last edited:
Ok. I figured it was a long shot.
If I get things working, I'll have to pick up a H20 or H2x somewhere.
Thanks.

I don't know if this is still the case since you no longer own your receivers but when I had Directv back in 2007 I cancelled DVR service and they just killed the dvr function on my reviver and it acted just like a Non DVR receiver.

If you have leased HR or R receivers you must have DVR service. If you drop it you have to return the DVR boxes, and may or may not have to pay if you want H or D boxes to replace them.

I was saying NO to you cant disable anything in the hardware or HDD; my assumption is the OP wants to removed the HDD and the lags he thinks it is causing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts