Can you do this with Dishnetwork?

andyin137

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Lompoc,California
My 2 year contract is about up with Dishnetwork I beleive in May.Unfortunately I have been laid Off from my job due to Government Cutbacks so I have to Cut back all excess bills as best as I can.
What I an wanting to do is just get my Local channels in HD with DVR,is there a package for this,Has anyone been able to do it.I am looking at a bill of around 25 a month.If Dish wants me to stay with them,as this would be a temporary cut back until I can get back to work.Otherwise I would have to disconnect from Dish and go for are local cable very basic package (2 -13).I am okay for a couple months but after that changes need to be made.

DISH Network offers a locals only package, but I don't think it qualifies for HD nor DVR hardware.

As Jeff0575 points out, the only sure answer is going to come from contacting DISH Network.

I have DISH America With Locals ($34.99), one 722 DVR Service ($6.00), and pay about $1.22 in taxes per month. This brings my bill to $42.21, which is officially the least expensive way to have a DVR and HD service through Dish. With Dish America, I CANNOT add premium channels or even Platinum HD channels, which kinda' pisses me off, but I can't afford that stuff right now anyway.

The other option is dropping $300 on a TiVo Premiere, $150 on a complete antenna solution, and spending $13 per month for TiVo service...which isn't a bad option if OTA is an option at all. Of course, that would take eleven months to recoup your hardware expense alone, and you wouldn't get Discovery, Food, USA, TNT, Spike, or CNN with you TiVo.

Poster number 2 said it best. Call them. If you don't like what the CSR said, say thank you and you will think about it. Then hang up and call again. You may like what the next CSR says better then the first.

That's my experience with what Dish CSR's tells me to do.

I have DISH America With Locals ($34.99), one 722 DVR Service ($6.00), and pay about $1.22 in taxes per month. This brings my bill to $42.21, which is officially the least expensive way to have a DVR and HD service through Dish. With Dish America, I CANNOT add premium channels or even Platinum HD channels, which kinda' pisses me off, but I can't afford that stuff right now anyway.

The other option is dropping $300 on a TiVo Premiere, $150 on a complete antenna solution, and spending $13 per month for TiVo service...which isn't a bad option if OTA is an option at all. Of course, that would take eleven months to recoup your hardware expense alone, and you wouldn't get Discovery, Food, USA, TNT, Spike, or CNN with you TiVo.

I have a Toshiba DVR, about $98, from Sams Clug that has recorded everythig that I have tried to do with it. It has not had any copywrite problems as the Soney DVR has. I don't have a Dish DVR.The Toshiba works great with no fees.

If you can rack some referrals up using Club Dish that would help. Also redoing your 2yr contract would get you the $10 off a month for 12 months loyalty credit. Here's a screen cap of my bill online with my credits, I could get my bill as low as 3 bucks a month, plus tax and fees. That's with Family pack and locals, plus DVR and second receiver.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/photopost/showfull.php?photo=1867

If you are short of cash, your cable company will usually give you a fantastic offers to switch. Usually at least $100 in rebates.

While this was with Directv, I wanted to get a decent deal on an upgrade, the person said they couldn't do it, and I politely asked for someone that could. That bumped me up a level or two on the authority chain. Be polite and hope all goes well, Dish and work.

The poster who said he can't get premiums with dish america is wrong. You can have premiums with any channel package. If you already have HD Equipment you may cut out your basic package if your contract is up and pay an access fee for just having locals, if hd's are available in your DMA you should be able to receive them just fine. If you have a 211k you could even add an EHD to make it function as a DVR to avoid the 6 dollar fee which would also be cheaper then what the poster said.

My dad has a 322 and locals only for $10.00 a month (I have not asked if he had any type of an increase as of Feb 1). It also includes some junk channels, plus HSN, QVC, and I think he also has pay per view options. Have no idea about HD. The only reason he has this is because some yahoo told him he would not be able to receive OTA digital signals where he lives (coastal Maine). I have since found out it was pure BS, the reason he wasn't receiving the OTA signals is because he didn't have a UHF antennae.

So call Dish and ask, keep calling until you find someone that can think hopefully you can get something to hold you over.

Ross

Cheap PC - $200, Antenna $100, Dual Tuner Card $50

$350 for a cheap HTPC.
I submit that you're going to have a VERY tough time building a HTPC for $250 (including the tuner and software).

Just noodling off the top of my head:

Case & power supply $50
Hard drive $50
Motherboard $50
Processor and fan $75
Graphics Adaptor with TV (DVI) out $40
RAM $50
Tuner $50

$365 without keyboard or mouse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)