Can you pick up the GOES satellites?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ksmithtwn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
Canada
Got a question for anyone who knows, is there a way to pull anything in from the GOES East/West Satellites? Even a signal?

:hatsoff:
KS

There's a thread about this somewhere. Yes you can do it with amateur equipment, but no you can't do it with Ku/DVB equipment. (As far as I know.)

Same with XM... the satellites may be in satellite lists, but unless you have the right equipment, you aren't gonna pick up anything.

I think you could use you existing Ku dish and point it at one of the goes satellites but would have to replace the lnbf with one that would pick up 1691 mhz and convert it down to a APT (automatic picture transmission) receiver.I don't have all the details but their is info on the web about it.

Dave

Hi Satadam
Looks like you took the plunge and are going to put together some equipment.
The hamtronics Receiver can be used with a downconverter and feed on your existing FTA dish to pull in pics from the Goes 9 satellite in the clarke belt at 105 W. I seen a site that showed how to make such a feed, I'll try and find it and post it here.
Meanwhile good luck with it and let me know how you do with it.

Dave

From what I gather from reading, it should work for both systems.

The downconverter I am interested in.... I'd like to get one.

GOES transmits WEFAX, POES transmits APT. Most programs will decode either one. GOES transmits wide-area still pictures from geostationary orbit on 16xx MHz and requires a dish (or I think some people have used a very long Yagi antenna), POES transmits a continuous scan, one line at a time, of the area it passes over in polar orbit on 137.xxx MHz and can be received with a QFH.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)