Can you set a 522/625 to Widescreen?

Kaydigi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 1, 2004
Hi guys,

Finally pulled the trigger on a HDTV widescreen. OTA HD is nice (Shrek was amazing).

When I try to view a widescreen show (Nip/Tuck) from my 522 it's pillar and letterboxed at the same time.

Can the 522 send out a widescreen flag from the S-Video cable or am I screwed? I do not see any options to switch to WS.

If no is the answer; Can all SD boxes from Dish. Direct, and Comcast only send out 4:3 signals?

Depending on your tv's zoom modes it may still be oar.

It will just zoom in the picture so the bars will not be visible

Thanks for the info but it doesn't look good at all. 2 modes look stretched badly while the zoom cuts off a lot of the top and bottom of the picture.

With the 622,411,211 do the receivers flag SD widescreen channels properly?

There is no flag, the 522 always outputs 4:3. The pillar boxes are coming from your TV the top and bottom box was coming from the channel you were watching. The 522 does not offer any zoom or stretch options so you can only use the zoom and stretch feature on your tv set.

The HD boxes do have zoom and stretch options built in. They have a partial zoom that might zoom it just enough to remove the top and bottom bar, on my set partial leaves some of the black and zoom cuts off too much. I have heard of a flag that can set crop or letterbox on tuners for 4:3 SD sets but I don't think its actually out there yet and I've never heard of it with regards to any dish box.

There is no flag, the 522 always outputs 4:3. The pillar boxes are coming from your TV the top and bottom box was coming from the channel you were watching. The 522 does not offer any zoom or stretch options so you can only use the zoom and stretch feature on your tv set.

The HD boxes do have zoom and stretch options built in. They have a partial zoom that might zoom it just enough to remove the top and bottom bar, on my set partial leaves some of the black and zoom cuts off too much. I have heard of a flag that can set crop or letterbox on tuners for 4:3 SD sets but I don't think its actually out there yet and I've never heard of it with regards to any dish box.

Thanks for the info one last question to make sure I understand correctly.

Using the Dish HD Dish box 622 or 211. When Nip/Tuck, BSG, ER etc.. comes on in widescreen it will still be treated as 4:3 pillarbox?

Thanks for the info one last question to make sure I understand correctly.

Using the Dish HD Dish box 622 or 211. When Nip/Tuck, BSG, ER etc.. comes on in widescreen it will still be treated as 4:3 pillarbox?

Well nip tuck will be window boxed because FX only broadcasts in SD, ER would be in widescreen if you can receive an HD signal ota or E* has your locals in HD, otherwise ER will also be window boxed.

You don't have your location listed in your info so I couldn't tell you if E* carries your locals in HD.

Well nip tuck will be window boxed because FX only broadcasts in SD, ER would be in widescreen if you can receive an HD signal ota or E* has your locals in HD, otherwise ER will also be window boxed.

You don't have your location listed in your info so I couldn't tell you if E* carries your locals in HD.

Thanks for the answers. I'm in richmond, VA and they do not carry them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)