Can you stop or erase Dish on demand from 622 hard drive?

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
This is both driving me crazy and mad. Each day I go to my DVR recorded list to watch my shows, I see I am loosing tons of space to unwanted Dish on demand garbage. Its the only thing I can think is causing it. Currently it says 622 that I have 13 on demand movies or shows available. I dont use them and dont want them. I currently have only 91 hours available to record on my DVR. Yet I only have 39 half hour SD shows I have recorded. I figure I should have used appox 20 hours of recorded space. I have ZERO hd shows recorded.

I have searched menu options high and low and can not find an option to stop or erase these shows. Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

thanks

It's not using your space.

'your space' is open to interpretation :D

However, the amount of time I have available to record seems to change now and then when I have neither recorded or erased anything. If its really on a separate partition then this should not happen, right? But perhaps when that one fills up it then takes away from the other to complete whatever event is being downloaded. Anything is possible.

'your space' is open to interpretation :D

However, the amount of time I have available to record seems to change now and then when I have neither recorded or erased anything. If its really on a separate partition then this should not happen, right? But perhaps when that one fills up it then takes away from the other to complete whatever event is being downloaded. Anything is possible.

Short answer: NO.

Considering your conclusions on this matter, Contact CEO, and get it replaced. The VOD is supposed to be on a separate partition, and this particular 622 may be malfunctioning. Anything is possible, right?

You mean like marking partitions as 'growable' in the initial setup that goes into the 622 so they can resize partitions automatically, thus taking unused space from another growable partition?? :confused:

Anything is possible, right?

To the OP, I've been told they used EXT2 partitions (*nix) on their DVRs, this is probably what's happening, they can push down stuff to the VOD partition altering your other partitions size. It's a BS move, someone here should pull their drive, dump it to another drive, axe the VOD partition and fool around with it. There maybe hacks like this available that no one has looked into yet, ie putting in a bigger/faster drive, dumping the VOD partition, pulling data off and putting it back on creating your own 'off line storage', etc. I'ld do it in a heartbeat but I have a 211, not a 622 so . . . all my buddys with 622s are noobs with linux and don't want to be without their precious 622 for a weekend so . . :mad:

Just because they use EXT2 doesn't mean they adjust the partition sizes. Yes, it's possible, but it's not easy (or 100% safe).

This is happening on BOTH of my 622's! So it is not an issue with a bad box. Just for example, I erased all my shows this morning on one 622. It now shows I have 14 DODemand shows ready and with no shows that I have recorded I only have 167 hours available. I am telling you that its taking from my space on HD. I am glad others see it too. I am calling Dish momemtarily!

If you want to stop the "on demand" stuff from downloading to your receiver all you need to do is set a daily autotune timer at a time 1 hour after your (3 am) update time. That will allow enough time to do the updates and then get the receiver out of standby so it wont be able to download any VOD. (also make sure you have inactivity standby disabled.)

If you want to stop the "on demand" stuff from downloading to your receiver all you need to do is set a daily autotune timer at a time 1 hour after your (3 am) update time.

Does that mean also that other than the update period the receiver should be on all the time?

I leave mine on all the time except for the updates & none of them have any VOD content downloaded.

The receiver is really on all the time anyway. The only difference is whether it's sending out a picture or not.

I wonder though, how much space is regained if you do let the HD fill up with "your" stuff?

See ya
Tony

This is both driving me crazy and mad. Each day I go to my DVR recorded list to watch my shows, I see I am loosing tons of space to unwanted Dish on demand garbage. Its the only thing I can think is causing it. Currently it says 622 that I have 13 on demand movies or shows available. I dont use them and dont want them. I currently have only 91 hours available to record on my DVR. Yet I only have 39 half hour SD shows I have recorded. I figure I should have used appox 20 hours of recorded space. I have ZERO hd shows recorded.

I have searched menu options high and low and can not find an option to stop or erase these shows. Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it?

thanks

IceShark,

On thing you should know is that the Time remaining when you pull up your DVR list is an ESTIMATION. The reason is that Dish use statistical Multiplexing when compressing their streams in MPEG2.

This means some shows or channels use MORE or LESS bandwidth depending on that Channels' bitrate, which is determined by how much overall bandwidth is available at any one time on that transponder and how much bandwidth that Channel may or may not get.

This means you could record one show that uses 15-30 minutes more or 15-30 minutes less of the estimated available time left, because the estimate on the screen is based on the average bitrate of all the channels. Generally, PPV, and premiums use more bandwidth, higher rated channels also get more, less watch channels, shopping channels, and Local into Local generally get the least bandwidth.

John

I erased all my shows this morning on one 622. It now shows I have 14 DODemand shows ready and with no shows that I have recorded I only have 167 hours available.
Did you do a reboot after deleting all of them ??
I am calling Dish momemtarily!
Why ?? So they tell you that "your" space isn't used for VOD ??

Pull the drive from the unit and stick it in a linux box and look at the partitions and even the files. You won't be able to read the contents of the files but you'll be able to determine what's what. Until then, you're speculating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)