Can you watch the voom channels on the 625?

KDRE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
Im just curious if any other receiver other than the 921/942/ and 811 can show those channels

Nope these channels can not be seen on SD receivers on Dish. Which is kind of unfortunate as there is some good programming on there which would still be great to watch on a SD TV.

On an aside, VOOM had displayed an SD rcvr, half the size of the voom hd rcvr, that would have allowed hd content displayed on sd sets.

Boy, don't we all miss the innovations voom had that never came out! :)

Here is a tip that worked for me when ordering E*. I have 1 HD TV and 2 SD's, but when I order it, I told them that I have 2 HD's and 1 SD.
In that way, I got the 942 for the 1st 2 rooms, and got an 811 (HD) for the 3rd one, instead of the 311 (SD). Connected the 811 to the 3rd room SDTV through composite cables, and I'm able to watch all HD channels.

I think that it's really stupid that the SD rcvrs cannot view the HD content. Does anyone know if there is a physical reason why the SD rcvrs cannot view HD content or if its just some stupid Dish policy?

Then it sucks if you cant afford a 942 to record any HD channels. Im just not the biggest fan of the 811. It's okay, but I think the voom receiver spoiled me or whatever.

caesar gdi said:
I think that it's really stupid that the SD rcvrs cannot view the HD content. Does anyone know if there is a physical reason why the SD rcvrs cannot view HD content or if its just some stupid Dish policy?

Because an SD receiver is an SD receiver duh...

Same thing how an analog telelvision cannot display a true HD resolution.

BFG said:
Because an SD receiver is an SD receiver duh...

Same thing how an analog telelvision cannot display a true HD resolution.

funny, but that doesn't answer my question. Do SD receivers not have the hardware to decode an HD signal or has Dish just disabled HD channels on SD receivers.

Example: A black & white TV can still view a color picture. it just shows in B&W. why can't SD receiver show an HD channel in SD?

Correct - the SD boxes do not have the necessary hardware.

The just announced (but not released) 411 will git-r-done for MPEG-2, MPEG-4, SD, and HD. It will replace the 301/311 and 811.

I haven't heard anything definite yet, but there should also be a dual-tuner (422?) version, and maybe 2 DVR versions (single and dual tuner).

It's hard to guess at model numbers now that they've blown their system with the 942 & 625. :(

In addition to being HD channels, they are also modulated with 8PSK instead of QPSK. The standard def receivers don't have 8PSK hardware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)