Canadian - audit worries

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Well, yes, but I'm not sure you are fully understanding the freedom you have with that UHF remote. The receiver does not need to be anywhere near the TV. You can put it some place where you can run RG6 easily. I put my 722 in my equipment closet along with my network gear, the furnace, and the water heater. No need to hide the wires because it's already not pretty and nobody but I go in there anyway. You can then use your cat5 to run your HDMI receiver output to your TV. Very neat installation, actually.

ok, I never heard about Ultra High Frequency remotes before today, but what I'm getting from you is that there's a UHF remote (with the model 722 receiver) that allows me to stuff the 722 receiver down in the basement, far far away from the tv. Not like in the old days where the receiver was in close proximity to the tv and to the person sitting in front of the tv, who has to point the remote directly at the receiver to get a result.

I guess that's what you're saying, right? and thank for the reply, I did not know there was such a thing as UHF remotes. That changes a lot of things. really good to know! thanks!

:)

Yes; precisely correct! My 722 shipped with a UHF Pro 6.3 remote for TV2, and another IR remote for TV1. (I forget which model.) So Dish expects most users to do as you originally thought, namely to put the receiver in close proximity to TV1 and so it only needs the IR, and use the UHF remote for TV2 which is somewhere else. However, this placement is not mandatory.

First with my 625 and then with my 722, I immediately bought another UHF remote for TV1 and switched the receiver inputs so both TV1 and TV2 use UHF. Problem solved. I fished HDMI cable through the ceiling and walls, but two of your cat5 cables should work as well. ;) You did notice my "two cat5 cables" remark all the way back in post #20, I hope.

I seem unlucky.

Due to an unexpected charge on my CC my payment bounced and my service got suspended. When I attempted to get it resumed, they asked for the CC name on the card (which was different than the account name) they asked to speak with the card holder.

No problem there, but I guess it set something off, because now I have to talk the Audit team (I goggled the # they gave me) to get my service restored.

My account used to be a broker account.

I would assume I would be better getting a new account than getting back my account from the audit team.

Anyone got a broker with a good rep ?

SR[/QUOTE
Once you get involved with the audit team things get tricky I am in the same boat Dealt for 10 years with a good broker ( ca-am sat in Burnaby ) till they were shut down a year ago Using the account info sent by the broker I was able to use the dish chat to reactivate However my dish blew down in hurricane Igo rand Was discooncted for 3 months until i reconnected last week Autopay was up to date with last credit card deduction 1 week ago
Tried to get service back but got asked for us SSN so blocked there

Wow... If I had to go through a "broker" just to get TV service... I'd probably rather just do without, or move to the states, before I did such a thing... I dunno... Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I don't trust ANYONE, other than a select few close people, to deal with anything to do with my finances...

hi guys, i have a few questions for you guys who maybe able to answer it because im getting mixed answers when i keep reading posts and more posts. . .

i have a 222k and lookin to add another 222k to my account (none of the receivers are NOT under any contracts, i own my receivers), im not in the US and did a 'move' to another state for the conus locals a few months back, i have paperless billing and subbed to the 250 pack which i would like to bump up to the everything pack and add the HD for life after the other receiver has been added.

the account was created like most of you guys who live in the US. . .US home address, US CC, SSN etc, equiptment setup my self, NO phone/internet was or ever will be connected to any of the receivers

would i bring up red flags?
can i add the other via the online chat?

I do not believe the networking will pass through the main breaker. I know for a fact it does not for Ethernet over power line

The main breaker does not block the signal. The first transformer blocks the signal - IF it is an older style transformer.

All new electric transformers are being built to pass internet over power lines [IP over power line] so the electric utilities can read their digital meters via either a wireless [cellular] or powerline-internet connection.

Additionally, if you live in one of the areas served by Excelon, the parent company of Commonwealth Edison of Illinois, you are probably no longer on a single-transformer feed. Because of all of the new power demands in homes, caused by large screen televisions and computers, ComEd, Excelon, and many other electricity distribution companies, are going to bonded transformer setups. In a bonded setup, they no longer feed 1 to 6 homes off a single transformer, but, where the density exists, and the feeder lines are short enough, and heavy enough, to prevent significant voltage drops [20% of all the electricity generated is lost to heat dissipation because most of the distribution wiring is undersized for today's loads], will segregate the single phase 220 / 240 volt residential and non-three phase feeds into a feeder cable that is fed by up to 10 transformers over a multi-block area.

This provides several advantages for the electric utility:
  • An amperage demand reserve in the case of a sudden demand by one or two customers in the same area;
  • A safety net in the event that a transformer craps - the former 5 to 6 homes or businesses which might have been on a single transformer and lost power altogether will not be in the dark now and can draw from the shared transformers which comprise the remainder of the bonded feed; and, finally,
  • Greater control over the regulation of the voltage to the customer because the transformers act as a pseudo capacitor bank and can absorb sudden demand requirements of one or two customers who suddenly switch in a high load simultaneously - as in a situation where it suddenly gets extremely cold and a group of customers with electric heat all call for heat in close proximity to each other.
So, don't count on an IP-over-power line data signal not being transmitted to, or received from, a neighbor down the street. If anything, as the new technology for IP-over-power lines becomes more installed, you will have to worry about that much more than you do now.

What you can do now, which will also take care of the future, is invest in a whole-house surge protector. These can be found, relatively inexpensively, on eBay. You can also find whole house data repeaters which attach via a 220, double poll breaker, and regenerate the data transmitted on any phase in the panel to the other phase to make certain it is not blocked to a particular outlet which is "on the other side" of the 110 phase from the one you are using in a 220 volt, single phase household or business.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts