Canadian networks refusing to send HD signal for NHL CI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

peelpub94

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Looking for some Canadian TV network experts on this one. Since the inception of NHL Center Ice (specifically on Directv) we've not been privy to the HD feed of TSN and CBC. The only time we see these networks in HD is when CBC is simulcasted on the USA NHL Network. Just this past year, Rogers Sportsnet has provided Directv with their HD feed of all Leafs games though.

My question is, who is making this so difficult? Is it CBC and TSN who won't give up the HD feed to a US broker? Or is it Directv who won't purchase because of an outlandish price?

Thanks!

I think it is DirecTV related, the MSG issue last year was due to their contract with the NHL. The NHL controls the CenterIce contract, I think DirecTV can air any game (HD or SD) in that package.

If it was a carrier with NHL issue then the CenterIce package in Canada wouldn't include those games either.

Vision DirecTV needing a dish/receiver for Rogers SportsNet Ontario, so they can get the BlueJays and MapleLeafs games in HD, they made that investment.

To air the Vancover, Calgary, and Edmonton games in HD they would need three more of this investment, my belief is they just aren't willing to invest the equipment and bandwith to do it. Hopefully they'll reconsider that.

If it was an issue with the NHL there would be press about it and it would affect all carriers.

It could be they need to come to an agreement with the stations too, but all Canadian teams local network is Rogers, I have a hard time believing they could reach an agreement for Ontario and not the others.

side note that Montreal is on RDS which is the french TSN, so not all teams are Rogers, almost all.

I think it is DirecTV related, the MSG issue last year was due to their contract with the NHL. The NHL controls the CenterIce contract, I think DirecTV can air any game (HD or SD) in that package.

If it was a carrier with NHL issue then the CenterIce package in Canada wouldn't include those games either.

Vision DirecTV needing a dish/receiver for Rogers SportsNet Ontario, so they can get the BlueJays and MapleLeafs games in HD, they made that investment.

To air the Vancover, Calgary, and Edmonton games in HD they would need three more of this investment, my belief is they just aren't willing to invest the equipment and bandwith to do it. Hopefully they'll reconsider that.

If it was an issue with the NHL there would be press about it and it would affect all carriers.

It could be they need to come to an agreement with the stations too, but all Canadian teams local network is Rogers, I have a hard time believing they could reach an agreement for Ontario and not the others.

side note that Montreal is on RDS which is the french TSN, so not all teams are Rogers, almost all.

Hey thanks for the reply, Jason. Do you think it's worth complaining to Directv about? Like is anyone going to give a damn or look into it because one Hockey freak complains about it?

What made them decide to invest in Rogers Sportsnet Ontario for Jays and Leafs?

I would also even offer paying more per month on my package if I got all of those feeds in HD. I wonder if that would entice them :)

Last edited:
I doubt complaining will do anything, this is a pretty high up decision in their broadcast operations.

I imagine they ponied up for RSNO because they can use it for MLB and NHL, talking 200 events a year versus maybe 60-70 events a year on the other.

Sad fact is that NHL is the smallest subscriber package of the 4 major sports packages, so little suprise that it gets less. MLB for example has just the one Canadian team, NHL has six, clearly makes it more challenging to manage bandwith. Add in that the NBA season runs at the same time as NHL, and it makes sense they are less likely to dedicate bandwith to the event only games.

I would like to see them at least get a feed in HD up when there is no American feed (two Canadian temas playing) or the American feed is SD only or not televised.

They would have to do a one-time hardware investment, but not dedicate daily bandwith so to speak.

I doubt complaining will do anything, this is a pretty high up decision in their broadcast operations.

I imagine they ponied up for RSNO because they can use it for MLB and NHL, talking 200 events a year versus maybe 60-70 events a year on the other.

Sad fact is that NHL is the smallest subscriber package of the 4 major sports packages, so little suprise that it gets less. MLB for example has just the one Canadian team, NHL has six, clearly makes it more challenging to manage bandwith. Add in that the NBA season runs at the same time as NHL, and it makes sense they are less likely to dedicate bandwith to the event only games.

I would like to see them at least get a feed in HD up when there is no American feed (two Canadian temas playing) or the American feed is SD only or not televised.

They would have to do a one-time hardware investment, but not dedicate daily bandwith so to speak.

Yeah, it was pretty clear to me that CI is the least subscribed package. Good point on the double play with MLB\NHL utilizing RSNO.

Where do you get your figures on subscription numbers? I mean it's an easy guess seeing that NHL is the least popular of the 4 sports.

How does the NHL Network acquire the CBC-HD feed for HNIC on Saturday nights? Is it a deal through Directv? Or is it a deal between NHL Network and CBC?

Yeah, it was pretty clear to me that CI is the least subscribed package. Good point on the double play with MLB\NHL utilizing RSNO.

Where do you get your figures on subscription numbers? I mean it's an easy guess seeing that NHL is the least popular of the 4 sports.

How does the NHL Network acquire the CBC-HD feed for HNIC on Saturday nights? Is it a deal through Directv? Or is it a deal between NHL Network and CBC?

I don't have subscriber numbers, but it is a safe bet that in the US hockey is 4th.

The NHL owns rights to all broadcasts, so they can get the feed however they want.

The could get it OTA in Toronto, via Bell or Shaw, or most likely either the feed to video providers from Rogers or the uplink feed directly from the arena, especially since they do their own comercials.

DirecTV carrying a Canadian feed most likely is the feed coming from Rogers to the video providers, i.e. the same feed that Bell/Shaw/cable pickup to air in Canada.

There was a post on DBStalk.com on several months ago on this. Basically, the NHL provides equipment to receive SD feeds for free and pays carriage costs. For the satellite companies, U.S. feeds aren't a problem since they can just mirror RSN feeds for the post part.

For HD feeds, the satellite companies have to pay for the receiving equipment and carriage costs.

as for the NHL Network stuff in HD, the NHL owns part of both NHL Net US & NHL Net Canada. Whats interesting is TSN owns part of NHL Net Canada too.

It's one of the reasons I keep my Shaw setup....HOCKEY in HD :)

as for the NHL Network stuff in HD, the NHL owns part of both NHL Net US & NHL Net Canada. Whats interesting is TSN owns part of NHL Net Canada too.

It's one of the reasons I keep my Shaw setup....HOCKEY in HD :)

Having a landlord prevents me from getting any other Satellite setups :(

Of the Canadian providers, Shaw, Starchoice, Expressvu - which could I potentially setup with a 5 gallon bucket, cement type setup that I could move around when I know the landlord is making a visit? :)

I still have my old, old Starchoice dish from 2003.

Shaw Direct is just a renamed StarChoice

If you want HD and are not on a border state, Shaw is the only option. Bell ExpressVu tightened the footprint on the HD (82W) sat so you have to be near Canada (like one maybe 2 states south of it) to get HD from Bell

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts