canceling dish and they want to charge for shipping on retuned equipment.

jeffdan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2004
i have been with dish for a few years. we recently moved to where we currently don't have line of site. so i canceled. i was told since we just paid the bill the day before that we were to receive a credit for the month since you pay a month ahead. i have never been late on a payment and always paid early. i have a vip 612 dvr and a second hd non dvr receiver. they said they want the equipment back, which i would have expected. the problem is, they can't send one box for both receivers and the lmb. they are sending three boxes. and I'll have to pay 15.00 for each one. i am a formal dish installer, they never used to charge for the equipment to be shipped back. i explained i was planning on adding on to new home and when i did, (plans to start clearing trees in June) , i would sign back up. is this normal protocol now.? if i have to pay to return, why would i ever go back? i can't blame them on a shipping charge, but why not one box with one charge? just venting. would like to hear what you think.

I definitely understand the frustration. Three boxes is the optimum we would prefer you to use when sending back equipment based on your situation. You can use less boxes if everything will fit, but it can cause more danger of equipment damage so we don't recommend it. You can also use your own preferred shipping methods to send it back as you're not required to use our labels. Typically our labels are cheaper though so we include them. When you get the boxes just copy the address on the labels we include if you want to use your own shipping.

Well it is what it is you did not paid for tech bringing it to you somebody else did so to send back is your time to pay Even it is Charlie staff He doesn’t care, he will ding any one regardless of how long you been a sub

This policy annoys me on principle. Companies shouldn't be able to charge to cancel a service and return their equipment. Those are "cost of doing business" sort of things that the company should pick up, not a customer who is no longer subscribing and thus getting nothing in return for these sort of fees, and may have canceled in the first place because either he/she can no longer afford to be paying for television (Making paying for nothing a double "F U") or needs a price break and is paying some other provider for their service.

I've also got to think, just from a practical prospective, this cuts down on repeat business for Dish. People tend to hold grudges about these sort of things. I wouldn't necessarily even say they're grudges -- it's just that they keep in mind what happened and think "I don't want to be stuck in that situation again if I have to quit in the future, so I'll go with a different provider next time.".

i have been with dish for a few years. we recently moved to where we currently don't have line of site. so i canceled. i was told since we just paid the bill the day before that we were to receive a credit for the month since you pay a month ahead. i have never been late on a payment and always paid early. i have a vip 612 dvr and a second hd non dvr receiver. they said they want the equipment back, which i would have expected. the problem is, they can't send one box for both receivers and the lmb. they are sending three boxes. and I'll have to pay 15.00 for each one. i am a formal dish installer, they never used to charge for the equipment to be shipped back. i explained i was planning on adding on to new home and when i did, (plans to start clearing trees in June) , i would sign back up. is this normal protocol now.? if i have to pay to return, why would i ever go back? i can't blame them on a shipping charge, but why not one box with one charge? just venting. would like to hear what you think.

Couldn't you just put the account on hold?

I've also got to think, just from a practical prospective, this cuts down on repeat business for Dish. People tend to hold grudges about these sort of things. I wouldn't necessarily even say they're grudges -- it's just that they keep in mind what happened and think "I don't want to be stuck in that situation again if I have to quit in the future, so I'll go with a different provider next time.".
I agree. Memories of a bad taste last a long time. A few years back, my 1100 dollar Vizio died, one month out of warranty. Vizio basically told me to find the nearest cliff and jump...FINE! I went out and bought me a Sammy, and this past Christmas, I bought my wife a Sammy. Vizio will never, ever, get another dime from me. Bad form is bad form, I don't care who you are.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts