Cancelled Dish

Maybe get eBay involved.
It was purchased over 3 years ago. Way past any time that makes eBay remotely responsible. I still say that if it was stolen that Dish would never have activated it. Just because they have no record of it be sold, being leased or anything else, does not mean it is stolen or obtained illegally, it just means Dish's record keeping is borked.

It is possible that it was reported stolen or something after activation. They are not saying that you didn’t buy it, they are saying whomever sold it to you was not authorized to sell that specific receiver. A dealer in EBay gives that a little more credence as well.

Reactions: navychop
I emailed executive customer support and they looked into it. This receiver had never been activated before I got it and is not reported stolen. They rescinded the requirement that I send the receiver back. Happy about that but not happy that I had to go through this.

Agreed. EBAY is a front for crooks selling bogus stuff and manipulating credit card charges. NEVER pay for things from your bank account from EBAY. Always use a credit card. The credit card will do a proper inquiry.

That is a bit of a broad brush. I have over 2500 transactions on eBay buying and selling. I have only had ONE bad experience that would bordering on fraud. It was on a $25 item so in the end, it was annoying but not the end of the world.

The thing about eBay and many other online or in-person placed BE SMART. too many people are after something for nothing or the better than just a good deal. IF you look at the feedback and don't deal with anyone on items of importance from new or no feedback sellers you will be fine. Don't be afraid to block buyers too. Even after they bid.

I had a good experience with a zero feedback eBay seller recently. He listed a Verizon 7730L hotspot that typically sells in the $100+ range with no minimum. In the description he wrote in all caps that it was missing the power supply and "special power cord" that he had lost. He said it was not the standard USB cord that most use, and would have to be bought from a Verizon store. Since I was familiar with the 7730L, I knew that the "special power cord" was just the newer USB-C cord that's readily available online from many sources, and I have a couple of them. I was surprised to see there was just one $15 bid when the time was down to a few minutes, so a I threw in a $25 bid to see what would happen. I'm using it to post this... :)

Agreed. EBAY is a front for crooks selling bogus stuff and manipulating credit card charges. NEVER pay for things from your bank account from EBAY. Always use a credit card. The credit card will do a proper inquiry.
I wasn't referring to the sellers, it was Ebay support. I had an account issue a few years ago that took too long to resolve. Haven't been back since.....

Reactions: Nebugeater
You are full of crap. 350 ebay transactions and zero fraud
He must be talking about buyers. Those that return items and the seller gets a box of rocks or an item that was obviously damaged or replaced with a used item. Worked for a company that sells on eBay, (estate items, locker finds, flea market items, etc.) over 10k items sold and we have never had a problem taking care of the buyers but have had plenty of problems with buyers on returns/refunds.

It's likely a small percentage of both, but the point is EBay's guarantees are hollow. VISA and AMEX deal with it quickly and appropriately. Because of past experience with Ebay's guarantees I will be loath to buy from an EBay source again. I will, but the price needs to be much less to assume the risks. It's a hassle dealing with EBay on fraud. They refuse to answer the phone, insist on chat and emails that take days responding to - and in the meantime the crook is getting away with cash they should not have.

Buyers, lots are crooks, lots are not.

It's likely a small percentage of both, but the point is EBay's guarantees are hollow. VISA and AMEX deal with it quickly and appropriately. Because of past experience with Ebay's guarantees I will be loath to buy from an EBay source again. I will, but the price needs to be much less to assume the risks. It's a hassle dealing with EBay on fraud. They refuse to answer the phone, insist on chat and emails that take days responding to - and in the meantime the crook is getting away with cash they should not have.
As a seller it is very easy for a buyer to deal with seller fraud. You file a case on-line saying the item was not as described and want to return it for a refund. The seller IS REQUIRED to issue a prepaid label for return of the item. Once the shipping number shows the item has been received by the seller they are REQUIRED to refund the buyer. If they do not, eBay will refund the buyer and charge the sellers account for the refund.

I'm not sure what your past experience is but that is the way the process now works and has worked for the past 5 years. If the buyer returns "a box of rocks" the only course a seller has is to do a full refund and appeal the return to eBay after they issue the refund. eBay could approve the appeal and give the seller a courtesy refund but that seldom happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts