Cancelled service

Joe891

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Maryland
Called because I still haven't received a box to ship my equipment back only to find dish hadn't actually cancelled my service. Not only that the wireless joey I own they are trying to make me send back. She did however offer for me to continue to pay full price if I stayed and upgrade me to the hopper 3 for free. Any clue how i get them to realize the wireless joey is mine even though the website indicates I own it?

Reactions: EchostarFan
I think it’s more appropriate that Dish provide proof of ownership. But I know that’s not always how it works unfortunately.

Called because I still haven't received a box to ship my equipment back only to find dish hadn't actually cancelled my service. Not only that the wireless joey I own they are trying to make me send back. She did however offer for me to continue to pay full price if I stayed and upgrade me to the hopper 3 for free. Any clue how i get them to realize the wireless joey is mine even though the website indicates I own it?
Contact a Dirt member. They can usually take care of it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think it’s more appropriate that Dish provide proof of ownership. But I know that’s not always how it works unfortunately.

Though which is easier, the extreme few (by %) who own a receiver to provide their proof of purchase or for DISH to have to match every receiver added to the millions of accounts with the hundreds of thousands receivers they own and provide a statement from Echostar? It's fair to say DISH shouldn't make the mistake but they do sometimes easy enough for someone to check their account and catch it or provide their receipt.

Though which is easier, the extreme few (by %) who own a receiver to provide their proof of purchase or for DISH to have to match every receiver added to the millions of accounts with the hundreds of thousands receivers they own and provide a statement from Echostar? It's fair to say DISH shouldn't make the mistake but they do sometimes easy enough for someone to check their account and catch it or provide their receipt.
The problem there is how many actually save their receipts

The problem there is how many actually save their receipts

True many people don't but that likely then applies to most things they buy. Most items for repair, return, warranty etc need you to have your receipt this should be no different. Even without it in many cases you can get a copy easily these days.

I didn’t take into consideration which is easier. However, I would argue that determining which receivers are leased vs owned would be an automated process for Dish. If Dish wants to charge a card on file for unreturned equipment, they better make sure it’s theirs equipment BEFORE charging.

I understand that sometimes mistakes happen.. but geez.. before charging someone hundreds of dollars.. have your ducks in a row. It’s easier to check and confirm and not charge than to charge first and check later.. especially if it’s coming out of someone’s checking account.

Just my 2 cents.

I didn’t take into consideration which is easier. However, I would argue that determining which receivers are leased vs owned would be an automated process for Dish. If Dish wants to charge a card on file for unreturned equipment, they better make sure it’s theirs equipment BEFORE charging.

I understand that sometimes mistakes happen.. but geez.. before charging someone hundreds of dollars.. have your ducks in a row. It’s easier to check and confirm and not charge than to charge first and check later.. especially if it’s coming out of someone’s checking account.

Just my 2 cents.

It's not that I totally disagree, but that still means EVERY TIME someone cancels they have to go beyond what shows on the account to make sure every receiver was from DISH so that the very few exceptions are caught. When you go to a store they are not the ones that have to prove you did or did not buy it there. I also don't know if it always takes the actual receipt or if a phone call can get it fixed.....

Once the subscriber contacts DISH after being billed I could agree DISH could have a system to match the ID of the receiver to their ownership and they must have an ability to something like that. But the whole thing would be so simple to just tell them you have a receipt and where to email it to.

It's not that I totally disagree, but that still means EVERY TIME someone cancels they have to go beyond what shows on the account to make sure every receiver was from DISH so that the very few exceptions are caught. When you go to a store they are not the ones that have to prove you did or did not buy it there. I also don't know if it always takes the actual receipt or if a phone call can get it fixed.....

Once the subscriber contacts DISH after being billed I could agree DISH could have a system to match the ID of the receiver to their ownership and they must have an ability to something like that. But the whole thing would be so simple to just tell them you have a receipt and where to email it to.

I guess I’m under the impression that it’s not that burdensome on Dish’s part to determine if the receiver was provided and installed by Dish or provided by the customer. It should be quite easy and automated. I’m not saying Dish should prove which receivers they own on every cancelled account.. just have protections in place to ensure they are basing whether or not they should charge for unreturned equipment or not on accurate information. If someone cancels service and returns all the equipment.. problem solved. If someone cancels and account and only sends back some equipment, check the serial, contact the customer before charging them.

And people going into a store and having to prove they bought an item there are looking to get a refund. Nobody is looking for a refund from Dish (at least for the equipment).. just keeping their equipment. Not exactly the same situation as this, but I get your point. I think we agree on almost everything.. just who the burden should be on.

This is why I always purchase my receivers directly from Dish. That way, the purchase shows up on my Dish bill, and Dish should have a record of the sale on their end, also. Problem solved.
Key words "DISH should have a record of the sale." The way I do it is purchase the H3 for a $100 less from a retailer and keep receipt in a safe place and scan a copy in to your computer. After install is complete, go in to your on line mydish account and make sure everything is correct. Check your on line account occasionally to make sure it stays correct.

Key words "DISH should have a record of the sale." The way I do it is purchase the H3 for a $100 less from a retailer and keep receipt in a safe place and scan a copy in to your computer. After install is complete, go in to your on line mydish account and make sure everything is correct. Check your on line account occasionally to make sure it stays correct.
Checking occasionally is good advice. I’ve seen it go to lease from purchased on more than one occasion.

Oh, I do watch my account like a hawk. I am definitely not saying that mistakes don't happen. See my post in this thread: 45 minutes with DISH Loyalty
I am just saying that purchasing from Dish puts more of the burden on Dish to prove that they did not sell it to me, since they are the ones who actually sold it to me in the first place. I understand that with something expensive like the H3, a significant amount of money can be saved by purchasing it elsewhere. For something like a Wally, not so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)