Cancelling DirecTV with Commitment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adam1115

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
When I bought my HR10-250 I was told by NUMEROUS reps including supervisors that I would get a free upgrade tot he HR20 when it came out (because why in the hell would I buy an obsolete DVR otherwise....?)

Apparently that is not true, I will have to lease the HR20, and it doesn't sound like it will be free either. So, in preperation for them being dishonest to me, I'm curious, can I remove my HR10-250 from my account and sell it then later cancel my account, returning only my two SD DVR's?

Please no moral lectures.... :rolleyes:

It's my understanding that if you have a commitment you can't cancel your account without paying a cancellation charge ($150 ?) or returning the equipment. You can probably remove the HR10 and keep paying for the programming but I think you are obligated to continue the HD package thru your commitment term.

I'm in the same situation with a HR10 and I'm just waiting to see what they will offer when the HR20 becomes available.

hiker said:
It's my understanding that if you have a commitment you can't cancel your account without paying a cancellation charge ($150 ?) or returning the equipment. You can probably remove the HR10 and keep paying for the programming but I think you are obligated to continue the HD package thru your commitment term.

I'm in the same situation with a HR10 and I'm just waiting to see what they will offer when the HR20 becomes available.

Not according to DirecTV, unless they are lying to me, they told me I could cancal the HD package at anytime, as the reason I bought the HR10 was for OTA HD Locals and HBO-HD, I knew I wouldn't keep it for 1 channel basically. (I only watch ESPN-HD on it). They told me my two year commit was for TC.

The question is, are they going to want the HR10 back if I remove it from my account months ahead of time?

MAYBE I'll hang on, but by then the HR10 will be worthless and it could be a year from now...

adam1115 said:
When I bought my HR10-250 I was told by NUMEROUS reps including supervisors that I would get a free upgrade tot he HR20 when it came out (because why in the hell would I buy an obsolete DVR otherwise....?)

Apparently that is not true, I will have to lease the HR20, and it doesn't sound like it will be free either. So, in preperation for them being dishonest to me, I'm curious, can I remove my HR10-250 from my account and sell it then later cancel my account, returning only my two SD DVR's?

Please no moral lectures.... :rolleyes:

When did you buy the HDtivo? If you did before March 1, it's clearly yours and directv would never be able to take that from you. So you can sell it etc anytime you want. Nothing illegal about that.

newsposter said:
When did you buy the HDtivo? If you did before March 1, it's clearly yours and directv would never be able to take that from you. So you can sell it etc anytime you want. Nothing illegal about that.

It's 6 months old... But the question is, if I sell it now, and want to get out of my comittment later, do they want just whats currently activated on your account? Or the equipment that caused the contract extension??

You are commiting to the program package, minimum Total Choice. You can activate/deactivate any of your receivers, but you must keep one, any one, active and pay for Total choice. Yes, you should be able to deactivate the HDTiVo but you will still have commitment. If it's an HD receiver or DVR you might have a one year commitment also to the HD package, it depends on what shows on your account.

I KNOW I have a commitment. Typically you can cancel DirecTV even though you have a commitment, and send back your equipment in lieu of a cancellation fee.

My question is, what happns if you SOLD one of the receivers on your account? Can you still send back the remaining equipment in lieu of a cancellation fee?

aren't there specific pro rata amounts spelled out in the contract? I thought there were

newsposter said:
aren't there specific pro rata amounts spelled out in the contract? I thought there were
yes 12.50 a month for each month of the contract left over. 300/24 and 150/12 are both $12.50

Last edited:
adam1115 said:
It's 6 months old... But the question is, if I sell it now, and want to get out of my comittment later, do they want just whats currently activated on your account? Or the equipment that caused the contract extension??

Very interesting question! Here some points to ponder....The agreement clearly states you must return ALL receivers, access cards and remotes. Also de-activating the unit doesn't remove it from your account. You have to specifically tell them it has been sold and you no longer own it to remove it from your account. I wonder if they keep a record of your previously activated equipment?

I have a Samsung HD Receiver which was "upgraded" to an H20, but they never took the old receiver back. Can I sell it, or do I need to hang on to it for some reason? It is currently de-activated.

cal87 said:
I have a Samsung HD Receiver which was "upgraded" to an H20, but they never took the old receiver back. Can I sell it, or do I need to hang on to it for some reason? It is currently de-activated.
You probably own it, providing they didn't ask you to return it and it's been at least 3-4 months since they replaced it and you have not been charged on your bill for it.

Here's what you do to break your contract. Call DTV and tell them that you have moved and that the location has no line of sight. They'll let you out of it.

zeos2006 said:
Very interesting question! Here some points to ponder....The agreement clearly states you must return ALL receivers, access cards and remotes. ?

See, if true, that's funny. There's no way they can legally make you return stuff you've owned for years. And i dont think that's their intent. If it just says ALL equipment then they sure messed up with the lawyers on that one. Imagine all those folks that paid 1K for tivo and now they will give up their machines? Nah..never will happen.

cal87 said:
they dont want it back, you can do with it what you like. they did this with me also left me 2 boxes , i even asked tech and he said directv does not want the boxes back

newsposter said:
See, if true, that's funny. There's no way they can legally make you return stuff you've owned for years. And i dont think that's their intent. If it just says ALL equipment then they sure messed up with the lawyers on that one. Imagine all those folks that paid 1K for tivo and now they will give up their machines? Nah..never will happen.
No they can not make you return equipment you purchased and own. But they will charge you to break your commitment UNLESS you would LIKE to return the equipment in Lieu of this pro-rated payment. Each case would be different and you would have to do the math to see which option benefits you the best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)